Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 12:07 PM

First Agility Competition with Max

We finally did our first agility comp!

I deliberately chose a non KC event which was held at the Kent County Fair - a nice relaxed show (so I was told) and lots of other things for the kids to have a look at! Although they are used to being a shows but there was no handling etc. so it was just watching mum and Max!

Max had four runs - Agility Grade 1 (beginners), Agililty Grade 1-3 combined, Jumping Grade 1 and Jumping Grade 1-3 combined.

Arrived slightly later than I wanted but in time to walk the first course - all looked fairly straightforward but there was a pull through which made things tricky - there was weaves (which he isn't great at) and the sea-saw which he is getting more confident about - those were my three main concerns.

I nervously watched ALOT of other dogs when I decided time to get in there and have a go.

As the girls were there he was quite distracted so for the first three or four jumps he kept looking back so didn't really get going but then whoosh we were off on a roll. He did the sea-saw fine and the pull through - yeah! But when we got to the dog-walk he hesitated due to the sea-saw! But coaxed him up fine.

So a good first run. the second agility run much the same a harder couple of pull throughs which he did fine - but sadly he took a wrong course and was eliminated.

The 1st jumping course was perfect for Max - but just before he went in one of my daughters was walking Connor - Max spotted them and I knew this would be a distraction but he went brilliantly right until the 4th from last jump and he didn't turn so ended up with 5 faults! Nearly a clear round at our first show - WOW!!! I was really chuffed with this result though! He even did the tunnel entries from just a command and went ahead of me.

2nd jumping course had weaves in and this is something I have to work on as he just isn't interested in these without a lovely tasty treat to follow - smelly liver in the fingernails didn't work either! So although no elimination think we finished with 15-20 faults.

Jess managed to get some pay on the day runs in with Connor and he too did well except for weeing up a fence post (not popular doing that! out came the disinfectant!) - on the agility they nearly went clear aside from him spotting us on the final run to the finish - so she was very chuffed with that!

Now the plunge has been taken think Max and I are ready to do a few more Just got to fix those weaves LOL. Max certainly had lots of fun and I know I did too xx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Wow, congratulations, that was a really successful first competition.

You've set yourself some pretty high standards to have to beat now

(PS - what is a pull-through - wondered whether it was where the course takes you between two jumps so that you have to avoid your dog jumping them?)
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Congratulations! Sounds like a lovely day all round! Any piccies?
Becky
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Well done, you must be really chuffed sounds like you had a great day

We wern't entered there, but with Jack being poorly we couldn't have gone anyway, but a friend of mine got 4th in the g1-2 agility on the Saturday, her first ever clear on an agility course

Our next comp. is the Eastbourne show.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks Hali - I couldn't have asked for more could I for a first comp So chuffed

Yep pull through is where you have two jumps either next to each other or at a right angle and rather than jump it you kind of pull through the middle and jump in the reverse direction - probably confused you even more - its not easy esp. with a long striding dog! or fast dog!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
Well done, you must be really chuffed sounds like you had a great day

We wern't entered there, but with Jack being poorly we couldn't have gone anyway, but a friend of mine got 4th in the g1-2 agility on the Saturday, her first ever clear on an agility course

Our next comp. is the Eastbourne show.
I am so chuffed you can't imagine Christine it was a super day!

Sorry to hear Jack hasn't been well.

Oh well done to your friend

I didn't enter E/Bourne in the end as wanted to see how Sat went - chicken aren't I!

So am now seeing what else to enter - trouble is got to make sure it doesn't clash with shows!!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Thanks Hali - I couldn't have asked for more could I for a first comp So chuffed

Yep pull through is where you have two jumps either next to each other or at a right angle and rather than jump it you kind of pull through the middle and jump in the reverse direction - probably confused you even more - its not easy esp. with a long striding dog! or fast dog!
Thanks - I do understand what you mean (possibly because we've just been doing it at our fun club - though they didn't give it a specific name) Never have the trouble with speed with Stumpy - she must be the slowest border collie to ever do agility
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Thanks - I do understand what you mean (possibly because we've just been doing it at our fun club - though they didn't give it a specific name) Never have the trouble with speed with Stumpy - she must be the slowest border collie to ever do agility
lol - Max also not fast - thank heavens! Have trouble enough as it is - wouldn't know how to cope if we had speed added to the equation! I am amazed at some of the people with collies who just seem to stand in the middle directing as they can't run ! Amazing to watch!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
lol - Max also not fast - thank heavens! Have trouble enough as it is - wouldn't know how to cope if we had speed added to the equation! I am amazed at some of the people with collies who just seem to stand in the middle directing as they can't run ! Amazing to watch!
That is what our trainer does with his dogs and it is what OH is aspiring to - he likes the idea of not having to move around very much Me, I'll just be happy when Stumpy moves faster than I do (which just shows how slow she is )

You'll have to get your daughters to take the camera/video at your next show
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Thats a great result for a first show, i entered for the first time on the sunday at the same show but i wasnt as brave as you and just entered 1 jumping class, i ended up with 20 faults i think although im not too sure about the rules!!

Mads has never run outside before though as we train indoors so she wasnt quite sure why we were there and went round the first two jumps ive entered the eastbourne show jumping again so im hoping we will improve.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >