register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
talassie is offline  
Location: yorkshire
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,629
Female 
 
12-03-2009, 06:33 PM
I don't know how to multi quote but would like to thank everyone for their thoughts on this and mish for the pics - you look as if you belong to a very good training club.
I'm not sure if I want to do obedience. I used to work Beginners with my previous goldie but don't know if I want to do all the travelling to shows again. I'd like to do something with Tala and we are going to try agility soon but that would only be for fun.
As for Tala's recall kirsty I thought she was getting better the last few weeks but she has regressed somewhat and is back on a flexi some of the time! However I am hopeful she will improve now. I can usually stop her going to another dog, what I can't yet do is get her to come back from another dog when they are running around. So I have to choose the dogs she plays with carefully in case she goes running off into the sunset. I must say most people are very good and patiently wait for me to go and get her.
Reply With Quote
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Moobli is offline  
Location: Scotland
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,297
Female 
 
12-03-2009, 07:57 PM
It sounds as though you are making progress with her recall, and I am sure you will get there in the end
Reply With Quote
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Wozzy is offline  
Location: Nottingham
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,477
Female 
 
13-03-2009, 06:20 PM
I think you have to have a dog who actually wants to please you and is focused on you as a handler. Some dogs are naturally more independent and would rather please themselves or they will always think about doing what you've asked before actually doing it.

I have a BC who is like this and he's not toy or food orientated so it makes it harder to motivate him. He's basically quite lazy.

My pointer on the other hand is totally driven to do anything really and watches me intently, wondering what my next move will be. I can simply be standing having a conversation with my mum in the kitchen and Flynn's eyes are glued to me. One blow of the whistle and he comes running back at full speed. I blow the whistle for my BC several times and then he might saunter back at a snails pace if he feels like it.

This sounds very harsh but Jed is an intelligent dog but would never be truly great at anything because he doesnt have the drive. Flynn however could excel at most things because he has the intelligence and the pure desire to work and learn.

I think breed also comes into it quite a bit. BC's seem to have a natural flair and precision which is needed for obedience.
Reply With Quote
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Snorri the Priest is offline  
Location: Orkney Islands, Scotland
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 4,963
Male 
 
13-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
I think the Border Collie has to be king at this - coupled of course with a very good, dedicated handler. JMO
The Border Collie is king at most things


Snorri
Reply With Quote
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
talassie is offline  
Location: yorkshire
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,629
Female 
 
13-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I think you have to have a dog who actually wants to please you and is focused on you as a handler. Some dogs are naturally more independent and would rather please themselves or they will always think about doing what you've asked before actually doing it.

I have a BC who is like this and he's not toy or food orientated so it makes it harder to motivate him. He's basically quite lazy.

My pointer on the other hand is totally driven to do anything really and watches me intently, wondering what my next move will be. I can simply be standing having a conversation with my mum in the kitchen and Flynn's eyes are glued to me. One blow of the whistle and he comes running back at full speed. I blow the whistle for my BC several times and then he might saunter back at a snails pace if he feels like it.

This sounds very harsh but Jed is an intelligent dog but would never be truly great at anything because he doesnt have the drive. Flynn however could excel at most things because he has the intelligence and the pure desire to work and learn.

I think breed also comes into it quite a bit. BC's seem to have a natural flair and precision which is needed for obedience.
I think this sums it up because Tala is an independent dog who just loves other dogs but doesn't really have any drive. She will half heartedly chase a ball once or twice when she is out or maybe have a little tug on a rope. She was a foodie but recently hasn't been too fussed about that either. So it is hard to get her enthusiastic about training and I am wondering whether to bother doing the obedience bit.
Reply With Quote
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Moobli is offline  
Location: Scotland
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,297
Female 
 
13-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I think this sums it up because Tala is an independent dog who just loves other dogs but doesn't really have any drive. She will half heartedly chase a ball once or twice when she is out or maybe have a little tug on a rope. She was a foodie but recently hasn't been too fussed about that either. So it is hard to get her enthusiastic about training and I am wondering whether to bother doing the obedience bit.
You should have had an Anja pup
Reply With Quote
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
mishflynn is offline  
Location: Cardiff, UK
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,033
Female 
 
13-03-2009, 06:52 PM
But increasing the drive is the best bit!!!!! You can have so much fun doing that!!!!
Reply With Quote
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
talassie is offline  
Location: yorkshire
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,629
Female 
 
13-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
But increasing the drive is the best bit!!!!! You can have so much fun doing that!!!!
I have been trying for the past 10 months but obviously am not doing it right. Do you have any tips????????
Reply With Quote
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
talassie is offline  
Location: yorkshire
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,629
Female 
 
13-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
You should have had an Anja pup
Actually I think you are right. Or one from obedience lines.
Reply With Quote
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
mishflynn is offline  
Location: Cardiff, UK
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,033
Female 
 
13-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I have been trying for the past 10 months but obviously am not doing it right. Do you have any tips????????
Loads of energy from you, loads of play, loads of wining on dogs behalf, With a dog like this you will be playing most of the time. I know you say shes not keen on toys, but you just have to find the "key"...it might be a toy disguised as something else........ or you could try conceling food into a toy.

& Try really high value food, eg rraw steak for treats,
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top