Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by galty View Post
Think by your figures he was born in 1920 and was forced to retire in 1983 two years before he got his state pension.

even then he would have recived a state hand out till he retired.
yes, born 1920. Even then he should have recived a state hand out but the point I am making he didnt and no reason was given.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Anyways. This is turning into a maggie was a Saint, maggie was evil when the question is should she be given a state funeral. Well considering she was and still loathed by vast sections of society I think it would be in very bad taste to do so.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
Anyways. This is turning into a maggie was a Saint, maggie was evil when the question is should she be given a state funeral. Well considering she was and still loathed by vast sections of society I think it would be in very bad taste to do so.
Vast sections a majority do not make - she was also loved and reveered by vast sections - so why appease the complainers?
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-07-2008, 02:32 PM
yes, born 1920. Even then he should have recived a state hand out but the point I am making he didnt and no reason was given.
if he was forced to retire that could imply he got some form of severance and if this is the case I dont think the rules have changed at all

i think both parties have done a p1ss poor job at looking after those that contribute
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 02:32 PM
loved or loathed ?? its not down to us how she is buried so guess its all quite pointless what we think anyway
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
Vast sections a majority do not make - she was also loved and reveered by vast sections - so why appease the complainers?
The marjority do/did not like her, what she did and what she stood for. You have a point that why should we bow to one section but surely the people who loved her wouldnt want her memory tarnished all the arguments that would take place.

I personally think state funerals should be reserved for the head of state and the close family. Also for people who have undiveded support and I am sure you agree that however much you agree with her shoe doesnt have that.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 02:39 PM
The marjority do/did not like her, what she did and what she stood for. You have a point that why should we bow to one section but surely the people who loved her wouldnt want her memory tarnished all the arguments that would take place.

I personally think state funerals should be reserved for the head of state and the close family. Also for people who have undiveded support and I am sure you agree that however much you agree with her shoe doesnt have that.
I think perhaps with your typo there Stormy, you might have hit the nail on the head! i.e. Perhaps the Shoe doesn't fit????!!! By that I mean, no matter how much she might have been admired by so many for what she achieved and how she achieved it, is a state funeral really the wtg when there are others who would have a state funeral and not cause a big ruck in the process by people's differing opinions of her?! Perhaps! I don'tknow!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I think perhaps with your typo there Stormy, you might have hit the nail on the head! i.e. Perhaps the Shoe doesn't fit????!!! By that I mean, no matter how much she might have been admired by so many for what she achieved and how she achieved it, is a state funeral really the wtg when there are others who would have a state funeral and not cause a big ruck in the process by people's differing opinions of her?! Perhaps! I don'tknow!
Yep typo.

I feel there should be some service for her but I feel making it a state event when there is such devided opinion about her is not right.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-07-2008, 02:46 PM

i think youre wrong with your numbers and I think there will be an element like the guy I heard on the radio Monday who didnt particuarly like her but begrudgingly admitted she was a very powerful figure who will go down in history as such.

I think that she was an exceptional figure who came to power at an exceptionally tough and bleak time and did the necessary hard decision making that always results in winners and losers - for me that was why she deserves the exception of a state funeral.

I didnt much care for Princess Di - nor did I or do I understand the OTT outpouring of grief when she passed - but it never crossed my mind to disrupt her funeral because i didnt agree with it - because it was just that a funeral and if you dont want to pay your respects at someones funeral you simply stay away from the mourning as I did.

But I think you can easily understimate the number of people who thinks she deserves the honour and would like to see it happen - be it for either her policies or her capacity as a statesmen and leader - not necessarily both.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
i think youre wrong with your numbers and I think there will be an element like the guy I heard on the radio Monday who didnt particuarly like her but begrudgingly admitted she was a very powerful figure who will go down in history as such.

I think that she was an exceptional figure who came to power at an exceptionally tough and bleak time and did the necessary hard decision making that always results in winners and losers - for me that was why she deserves the exception of a state funeral.

I didnt much care for Princess Di - nor did I or do I understand the OTT outpouring of grief when she passed - but it never crossed my mind to disrupt her funeral because i didnt agree with it - because it was just that a funeral and if you dont want to pay your respects at someones funeral you simply stay away from the mourning as I did.

But I think you can easily understimate the number of people who thinks she deserves the honour and would like to see it happen - be it for either her policies or her capacity as a statesmen and leader - not necessarily both.
She was a powerful figure and will go down in history, a state funeral wont change that. I just feel with the numbers who dislike her and what she stood for it would be wrong.

I didnt understand the whole diana thing either but when it was suggested if it should be a state even there was no areas(what I can remember) saying no she shouldnt. That is the main difference.
Page 12 of 33 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »