Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2014, 10:44 AM

Evolution of our language

I was thinking about just how much our language has changed, probably more and more quickly in the last 10 years than ever before.
How do you feel about this?
Do you mind the way our language is changing?
Or would you rather we still said, "foresooth" or " where art thou"?
A bit extreme but non the less this is how we are moving on
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2014, 10:49 AM
I have no problem with change as long as I can still understand what's being said.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-01-2014, 11:01 AM
I find some of the new language irritating but then it is my choice not to use it. Language has changed over the years and we all have to learn to adapt like it or not. We also have the choice to use new ideas or not.
I must admit I do text speak but to Mark my eldest but not
to Michael our youngest who is like his dad and find its irritating and will tell you.

I am a little young to remember foresooth or where art thou.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Foresooth Jenny, verily I say that 'tis most irksome to find these young charletons forsaking the language of our forbears with no respect for their long established meanings and understanding. Where for art thou comming from

On a more serious note I have to concede that the language does change, I don't really care It's no longer necessary for my ego to be part of a huge group, have hundreds of friends, be trendy and 'with it'

When you are teenager the world revolves around your social life, you think you and your friends will make the world a better place and in order to do that you MUST exclude all the oldies.

Then in your 20's and 30's you realise you need to concentrate on your immediate family and your work and only use new words in connection with your work

When you reach 40 or 50 already the teenagers think you are an oldie, so you start to behave like one and exclude as many 'new' words as posssible from your vocabulary.

From 60 onwards it becomes an obsession to NOT be like all the media luvies and brainless kids and distance ones self from all that 'air head' mentality.

I'm very intrigued to know that it is your youngest son who despises 'text speak' that says a lot about him and maybe he's really your eldest son
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

05-01-2014, 03:35 PM
And from 70 onwards you are considered to have passed your use-by date and are patted on the head and told " do not worry about it dearie because you could not possibly understand at your age".

"Now be a good dear and eat up this lovely pap - and oh dear, have we done wee-wee's in our nappy again?"
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
And from 70 onwards you are considered to have passed your use-by date and are patted on the head and told " do not worry about it dearie because you could not possibly understand at your age".
Like those idiots building the new road outside your place
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

05-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Like those idiots building the new road outside your place
I would prefer to use a different word than "idiots" as one of them thought that it would be "fun" to plaster black tar all over the outside handle of my front door and all around it.

Unfortunately the word I would prefer to use would no doubt not get through the swear filter.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-01-2014, 08:28 PM
I would prefer to use a different word than "idiots" as one of them thought that it would be "fun" to plaster black tar all over the outside handle of my front door and all around it.

Unfortunately the word I would prefer to use would no doubt not get through the swear filter.
Actually a number of words went through my mind before I posted that. I thought I would be OK with "idiot"
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

06-01-2014, 07:34 AM
Teacher to Grade 1 pupils:

"Writing is just like texting except that you have to use all of the letters in each word."
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Teacher to Grade 1 pupils:

"Writing is just like texting except that you have to use all of the letters in each word."