Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 10:08 PM

What does Halloween MEAN to you?

If you celebrate it - or take part in any way ... WHY?

I grew up in London in the fifties and don't recall ANYTHING connected with Halloween - we had Firework Night in Nov and that was it until Xmas.

Is it just another American 'import' like 'mothers' day'? Just another reason to put more money into the coffers of the likes of Hallmark Cards and purveyors of Chinese tat? Or does it hold a special meaning for you? If so, what is the meaning of Halloween to you or your REASON to celebrate it?
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Doesn't mean much to be honest, I used to go trick or treating in the late 70's / early 80's and my kids went when they were little - I do buy in treats for the children that come but we mainly only get local little ones.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-10-2013, 10:39 PM
It means nothing to me , I wouldn't know it existed except when people ask me what I think about it..
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Not much to me either - though I do have some good memories from when we were kids, and used to go trick or treating
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 10:56 PM
It means little to me, but youngsters these days seem to absolute love it.

As long as it does no harm then I see no problem, but aggressive trick or treating is really not funny and should not be a part of it. Having parties, dressing up and small children going round to friends and neighbours is okay though.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Another American import as far as I can see that has no meaning except commercially
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 07:27 AM
It means watching a few Halloween films like Hocus Pocus all good family fun, little member of the family will dress up and go round the family driven by her chauffer (my husband) to trick or treat everyone. Back home for soup and sandwiches and baked potatoes.

Simple but enjoyable.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 07:53 AM
To me it means a bit of fun for the kids or in the case of my daughter and her husband the big kids. They love dressing up and have planned a very spooky night for all the kiddies who come to their house tonight.
I love seeing all the costumes and the houses that decorate. If kept as fun I think its lovely to have a day like that.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
If you celebrate it - or take part in any way ... WHY?

I grew up in London in the fifties and don't recall ANYTHING connected with Halloween - we had Firework Night in Nov and that was it until Xmas.

Is it just another American 'import' like 'mothers' day'? Just another reason to put more money into the coffers of the likes of Hallmark Cards and purveyors of Chinese tat? Or does it hold a special meaning for you? If so, what is the meaning of Halloween to you or your REASON to celebrate it?
I grew up in Scotland in the 50's . We always celebrated Halloween . We got dressed up as witches etc . We carved lanterns out of turnips ( swede ) . We went round the neighbours ' guising ' in which we sang a song or said a poem and in return people gave us a little money or some sweets etc . Some people had parties with all sorts of Halloween games. It was great fun and we loved it .OH grew up in a different part of Scotland and it was the same there
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 08:18 AM
I asked to see if any of you that 'do take part in it' and see it as an annual 'event' could say a bit about what it means to you or why you think it is celebrated. I mean Nov 5th is connected to Guy Fawkes and often called Guy Fawkes night. Not talking about 'holidays' that are official, like Xmas and Easter but these 'days' like Firework night and Halloween and Mothers Day and so on for which people don't get time off work and they aren't listed as official public holidays or feast days.

So far I've not seen anyone say they know where the roots of it lie or why it is celebrated other than a bit of fun (which I am all for - fun!)

It's not celebrated in Cyprus. But over in the UK earlier this month I was absolutely amazed at how big it has now become. I was in ASDA superstore in Chandlers Ford and they had about two whole aisles of Halloween stuff - all sorts from partyware to full fancy dress outfits. My neice told me they had even more but fell foul of the authorities for including 'mental patient' dress up kits and had to remove them.

Over in California some 20 odd years ago I was knocked out by how 'big' a thing it was there. Almost every house decorated - the trees too with huge illuminated flying witches - I was leaving just before the event and everyone was saying that it was such a pity that I was going to miss it.

My boys never 'did' Halloween but back then I do recall a few kids going round to ask for stuff and chucking eggs at doors where they met with nothing!

When I moved down to Cornwall and Jen was about 8 it seemed to be bigger down there (90s) we'd only been there a couple of months and Jen asked if she could go trick or treating and I said NO! Well the next day a few aged neighbours called round with sweeties and goodies for Jen because 'they hadn't seen her with the other kids and didn't want her to miss out'! How nice was that? After that and me realising it wasn't some 'dodgy' thing to let your kids do where they might be dragged inside a house by a psycho but a local celebration that both those participating in and those staying home and expecting them to call enjoyed - I did let her go and even made her an outfit and had her and her pals baking awful looking 'halloween cakes'. But I still didn't really have a clue what the 'meaning' of it was or what people were celebrating.

I sort of assume it has a 'witchy' connotation and back then thought that was why it was 'bigger' down in wild woolly Cornwall where quite a few folk are a bit witchy weird and wonderful!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >