View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2013, 03:19 PM
I think 'wild' animals/creatures should only be kept in captivity if they are endangered and are part of a breeding programme or for whatever reason would not survive in their natural habitat due to injury etc.

I'm not talking about dogs, hamsters, rabbits etc who have been bred and domesticated, but wild birds, lions, apes, etc etc.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Totally against
I went once to our local Zoo and vowed never again The Polar Bear and Gorillas in there were displaying the worst stress behaviours I have ever seen in my life.They were the worst cases.Polar Bear was pacing backwards and forwards constantly,it looked so sad Gorillas looked totally depressed
I think with all the technology we have available we can get up close to any animal we want,any where in the world.
Many moons ago maybe zoo's etc were the only place people had a chance to see animals from other countries around the world,not the case anymore.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Wild should mean just that, living free. The only exception are animals that have been taken to almost extinction by us & even then they should not be kept in zoo cages, enclosures like the ones that Monkey World have perhaps.

I was disgusted when a park/zoo in the UK sold their elephants to France, because they were "too much"for them, when in fact they were sold to raise money & went from a park like encosure to concrete & bars Elephants in captivity live shorter lives than those living in the wild
squeakzzz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2014, 03:44 AM
I've never heard of wild dolphins being captured and allow closeness to a human being. That is a scary thought considering dolphins are preditors and quite dangerous. Tamed or not, they are wild animals. There was someone who researched the domestication of dogs usimg foxes. He captured numerous foxes from the wild and bred the least aggressive ones to the point, I think it was over 20 generations later, he had a group of domesticated foxes who seemed much like our dogs today. Although he was still producing some that were clearly on the wild instinct side even after so many generations of selective breeding. You can never trust an animal who should be in the wild. I find it risky to allow people to swim with dolphins. They still have survival instincts and can be unpredictable. No matter how domesticated they are or how much training theyve gone through. I wonder if they warn customers the dolphins are from the wild?
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Unless there was 100persent sure there would die out with help leave them alone. Before man came along the world did pretty good , and it would do a dam site better without us.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2