Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2011, 02:49 PM

Scottish election: SNP surges to Holyrood majority

Just intrigued to see peoples thoughts on the outcome, more relevant to Scots, but would interested if anyone had views down South

Personally pleased with the outcome, saying that I would only be upset if it were Tory.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2011, 09:51 PM
I can understand why it happened as they was no real contenders to vote for but I aint happy about it.

Any party that can have Nicola Sturgeon in it obviously doesnt hold truthfulness high on its agenda!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Wish Scotland was seperate entity and we in England could be governed by the English and not by Scots MP's. So I am happy as it comes a step closer.

rune
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Well Scotland can now hold a referendum to see if the scots want to split from England.

Think it would be much better if England and Scotland did split.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-05-2011, 11:07 PM
if the scots want independance why not

Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-05-2011, 03:29 AM
I'm British and proud of it.

Unfortunately 90% of the population don't really understand elections and simply vote for their favourites.

Sadly the SNP play on patriotism and Alex Salmond is all too quick to turn it into a Scotland V England thing - something which it clearly isn't.

It's so sad (and he's clever) but he will scoop up the masses more familiar with the film Braveheart than politics.

The whole SNP thing does my head in - you could replace every policy they have with those from Labour or Conservative and folk would still vote SNP.

Total joke.

Split the Union ?

If Scotland want to try it then for God's sake look at the details and do it for sound political reasons rather than some sad bitter SNP Salmond ego trip.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I'm British and proud of it.

Unfortunately 90% of the population don't really understand elections and simply vote for their favourites.

the latter IS the former. that IS elections

Sadly the SNP play on patriotism.

you say that like its a surprise. of course they do, they are called the scotish national party. thats their raisen detre.
and arent you just the same as them anyway, as per yr opening sentence?

and Alex Salmond is all too quick to turn it into a Scotland V England thing - something which it clearly isn't.

correct, its a scotland v UK thing, as in the SNP represent that constituency that want independance from the UK.

It's so sad (and he's clever) but he will scoop up the masses more familiar with the film Braveheart than politics.

Its only sad if you dont want scottish independance

The whole SNP thing does my head in - you could replace every policy they have with those from Labour or Conservative and folk would still vote SNP.

Total joke.

what do you mean?

Split the Union ?

If Scotland want to try it then for God's sake look at the details and do it for sound political reasons rather than some sad bitter SNP Salmond ego trip.
im thinking the point, from a scotsmen POV, isnt about splitting the union, but independance for scotland.
its a cultural issue as well as political
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2011, 07:33 AM
I voted for them when I lived in Scotland and I am English
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2011, 11:30 AM
I think they hold strong policies and Salmond is very charismatic. They had a strong positive manifesto this year and have proven themselves in the last four years as a minority.

I dont believe for a second all of those people voted for independence (by that I mean i dont think people voted them into power in the hope we will become independent)
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm glad the SNP got in. In saying that, anyone of them (well, almost...) but the Tories.....!

I think they are best for Scotland at the moment (although I do think they need to be tougher on knife crime) and I think (well, hope) they will stand up for us Scots more so than any of the other the parties.

In my local consituency, Labour got in again, JUST by a whisker and no more over the SNP.

If we were to become independant, England are welcome to Clegg and Cameron! Think Salmond is the best of a bad lot!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >