register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Grand National?
I think it should stay but changes need to be made 70 56.45%
I think it should stay with no changes 8 6.45%
I bet on it 16 12.90%
I don't bet on it 29 23.39%
I don't care one way or the other. 1 0.81%
I think it should be abolished 43 34.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 7 of 29 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I dont think Dawn needs anyone sticking up for her, she has shown many times that she can handle her own. If she chooses to come on here with those comments (like horses being ours to do what we want with, even if that means dying in the name of sport) she will upset, anger etc people so they should be allowed to say things back, provided they say it in a reasonable manner. I certainly dont think she has been 'picked on'.
Doesnt bother me anyway LB, see if I say anything Im a "bully" if anyone says it to me, they are "entitled to their opinion" but hey, like I said, doesnt bother me.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Azz

Animals are not here to serve us
Yes they are Azz, we all own dogs dont we, they serve our need for companionship, they work for us, they serve us in what capacity we see fit, be that companionship, work ability of food

Be it horse, dog , cat, take your pick, we the human race dictate an animals purpose in life.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Doesnt bother me anyway LB, see if I say anything Im a "bully" if anyone says it to me, they are "entitled to their opinion" but hey, like I said, doesnt bother me.
I think that is why Pidge was trying to be fair.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Classic reply of somebody who has absolutely NOTHING to back up the crap she is spouting, nice work! Found out a treat!
IMO Pidge was being MORE than fair in her comments regarding your participation. LOL.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Yes they are Azz, we all own dogs dont we, they serve our need for companionship, they work for us, they serve us in what capacity we see fit, be that companionship, work ability of food

Be it horse, dog , cat, take your pick, we the human race dictate an animals purpose in life.
And that is why cruelty will continue.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

11-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
And that is why cruelty will continue.

rune
As Long as the human race is around , you will get cruelty, and not only to animals.
Gonzo33
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Personally I think that training is the key issue here. Athletes (and that is what these horses are) need to be trained to meet their full potential. If they have not been trained in the weather conditions they will fail, if they do not have the stamina they will fail, if their scope over a jump is not good enough they will fail.

So my opinion is that the owners and trainers are letting these beautiful creatures down by putting them in a race that they are not yet ready for.

I also think that the GN has too many runners, and that it should be maximised to 30 runners just to give more room on the first fence.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

11-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Gonzo33 View Post
Personally I think that training is the key issue here. Athletes (and that is what these horses are) need to be trained to meet their full potential. If they have not been trained in the weather conditions they will fail, if they do not have the stamina they will fail, if their scope over a jump is not good enough they will fail.

So my opinion is that the owners and trainers are letting these beautiful creatures down by putting them in a race that they are not yet ready for.

I also think that the GN has too many runners, and that it should be maximised to 30 runners just to give more room on the first fence.
That's not true, they fall due to rider or horse error, a horse can have the scope but still stop or fall at a jump.

Stamina , I agree, an unfit horse going round any form of track is a danger to itself, its jockey and others. ALL horses should be fit enough to cope with the course.

The weather is something we cant train for, we live in England where our weather is unpredictable.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Just for information:
Here is a link to information on each of the fences at the GN: Fences Info

It gives details of height and width, techniques etc for each jump.

This could be helpful in thinking about what changes you may think should be made to the main GN course.

Also, for comparison, here is some information regarding the "Puissance" competition - a 'high' jump, which is contested every year, and can go as high as 7ft: Wiki: Puissance

Just as clarification - do people opposed to the GN also believe that other equestrian sports should be changed/abolished too? So, show-jumping, dressage, eventing, equitation etc, as well as in-hand and ridden shows?
Gonzo33
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Ok, yes there can be horse or human error as well. However I still think that training is a key issue. The horse that won the national was in such a state that it needed to be stabled straight away, and was given oxygen.

I know the weather in UK can be unpredictable and that it was unseasonably warm but this should not be an excuse.

**I should add that I live in Cyprus as my husband is in the Army, so my home country is UK, and I did use to work with hunters**
Page 7 of 29 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »