Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 08:59 AM

Mixed lot or same breed?!

Just interested really....have noticed that its probably a 50/50 split in dogsey that some people have a mixed lot of dogs (like me) and some of you have a lot of the same breed.

Come on you lot you know who you are!!
Border collies, Rotties, Chiuahuas, Golden Retrievers etc.!!

Has it always been that breed for you and will you ever change?
Its obviously bit different if you breed or show but what about just pets.

Those of you with a mixed lot, do you like the variety? I know i do...i couldnt have three more different dogs really!! But this can make things harder.

So any stories please about your chosen breed or your different breeds living together.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Hi,

I'm a GSD person at heart and would usually go for just GSDs but being brought up with Akitas also, I Have on e of those too.

My oldest GSD can be alittle highly strung at times and is easily upset whereas my Akita bitch can easily calm him down (& puts him in his place too!). I think this is far better coming from another dog rather than me and the fact that she's a typical lazy Akita alongside being a very level headed bitch means my 2 GSD boys are very happy and settled.

That's not to say they wouldn't be if I only had the boys or only had GSDs. But I think it can work to the advantage of both dogs and people to have a different breed chuked in the mix somewhere.

At the same time I'm sure there are people who as you say, will only ever have one breed and stick to it. I'm sure their dogs are just as happy as mine.

Laura xx
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:19 AM
I love haveing a mixed bag! I want another NI but i know we will always have a rescue dog as well. I am a huge fan of luchers and as there are always so many in rescue i think we will always have one.

I find the two beeds mix really well (even though they look funny!) Cassie and Ela love to play fight and they both love the chase me chase me game. The only problem i have is that i am sure Ela thinks she is a lucher. When went for a walk with fellow NI owners and she wasn't that bothered playing with them. Then we met a whippet and she went mad and a game of zoomies started
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:23 AM
I think I would probably always have a mix of dogs, unless I found a breed that was absolutely perfect for me.. Though aven then I think I'd have an odd one or two out, I like variety
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:24 AM
We got a 2nd Boxer, as we realised that a lot of the other breeds we liked don't mix well with Boxers due to energy levels/exercise levels etc...

I wouldn't hesitate to have a houseful of Boxers, I just love them...

I suspect any other breed of dog we got would be a similar size breed, or larger; but I'd have to absolutely adore the breed to change from Boxers
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:41 AM
I've been thinking about this and I love having two dals... but was considering a different breed (like a non shedding poodle) when Eddy goes...

But I just know I'll want another dal! That's IF I have another dog again - I am hoping to leave it at least a while before I get another so that I can just concentrate on Takara.

I also worry because I've been so lucky with my two, they just get on so, so well and I am worried another one wouldn't go down as well with Takara as Eddy did...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:45 AM
I`m a GSD fan, but I`ve usually had another as a companion for them and a family dog, because GSDs can be a bit sniffy about anyone else (apart from Mummy). I got the shorthaired pointer because I didn`t know what he was and felt sorry for him in rescue. Having spent a hectic few years coming to terms with the breed, they are also now on my `must have list`.
The Hound is my son`s. Although he is falling in love with my most recent shorthaired pointer (the son, that is)
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:48 AM
I started off with a BC, I did some obed with him, then just after gordon was born I got a GSD I did lots of stuff with him, still had the BC at that point to, I stuck with those two quite happily for a good few years, my BC went to the bridge and I stuck at just one dog for a couple of years as I was by that time single with a kid and manager of a small country pub/Inn,
Then I got the rescue rottie, then came the rescue bullmastiffs, then came royce I did some obed and showing with him, the rest is history, I love rotties, they are the breed for me, but I would still consider other rescue dogs, any type or cross.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Since getting Woody (bearing in mind I love the large breeds and wolf types) I cannot imagine owning another breed now! Springers are (well Woody is) everything I would ever want in a dog; energetic, loving, doting and easy/fun to train.

The only breeds I may consider in the future are GSP, HV, or Field Cocker but I haven't even given it enough thought to see if they're OK with Springers.

I'm scared to get another dog to be honest as am worried about how it will be with Woody and vice versa. I don't want to rock a nice, steady boat if you know what I mean.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Being relatively new to this dog owning lark there are still lots of breeds I need to own. So I think we will be a mixed household for many years.

Although I adore Pepper and wouldn't be without her, she wasn't what I was expecting after the research I did on Schnauzers. So I switched to Affenpinschers for dog number 2 and now I don't think I'll ever want to be with out one (or 2, or 3, they don't take up much space ). But I have to say there are at least 2 other breeds I'd really love to own...

J
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >