View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Robert
Dogsey Senior

08-05-2004, 07:10 PM

I'm not going to bother.

I was talking to a breeder today with a view to going on his waiting list for a springer, after chatting for an hour or so and getting on famously, he said he'd be happy for me to have one of his pups, he asked what my preference would be and when I said a bitch, he said bitches were £50.00 more then dogs, after thinking about it, I'm going to phone him and ask him to take me off the list.
I don't know what the reason is for the extra money, and the money's not the issue, but I think I'll wait for a pup from Heidi's breeder, might be a long wait, but then I haven't persuaded Mrs K we need another springer yet :smt027
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2004, 07:38 PM
Hi Robert

Here in Denmark its quite normal that the bitches are a bit more expensive than the dogs. I think I heard somewhere that its because you can get puppies on the bitch - sure you'll need a dog to produce the puppies. But I think it's because there still is someone around who believe they can make money on breeding.

Okay that just comes out very confusing! God its hard to translate from danish to english.

Jeanette
Robert
Dogsey Senior

08-05-2004, 08:11 PM
Hi Jeanette,
I thought that might have something to do with it, not a valid reason for charging more me thinks in fact since it cost more to spey a bitch then neuter a dog, shouldn't bitchs be cheaper
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

08-05-2004, 08:19 PM
lol, in the Bengal cat world a pet girl goes for around 400 quid but if on the active register (which means u can breed from her) the same cat would cost around £800

Same thing with boys a pet boy bout 400, a boy for breeding purposes a few grand!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Hi

No I don't think it's a very valid reason and I can tell you that Luna's brothers was sold at the same price as the girls. But of course I bought her from a private family instead of a kennel, maybe that is the reason, I don't know.

Jeanette
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2004, 08:57 AM
The breeder where I got my springer from didn't charge any different for dogs and bitches.

tbh, if you like the breeder, the dogs, the line, how they are raised, I would be tempted to go ahead. JMO Have you spoken to the breeder about your concerns?

Helen
Robert
Dogsey Senior

09-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Hi Helen

I spoke to the breeder this morning, and he thinks I'm a tyre kicker.

Heidi's breeder didn't charge a premium for bitchs either.
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2004, 06:54 AM
I just saw some ads in todays paper that listed females as more money than males. The differences were about $200 USD.

Aren't their contracts when you buy a dog? Usually breeding contracts cost more if you agree you may breed. Why speculate on the intention of a prospective buyer? Seems like money mongering, but I could be wrong and there's a reasonable explanation.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2004, 08:38 AM
I breed my cocker spaniels and I charge the same for both dogs and bitches..........but I do put breeding restrictions on the pups which I will lift when they've had all relevant health checks
hollysmum
New Member!

10-05-2004, 08:39 AM
I paid £75 extra for my springer bitch.When i asked the breeder why she said she hoped the extra cost would put of people who wanted to buy one just to breed and make money from.As i have had some problems with Holly and now have no choice but to speyher (not that i would breed from her anyway as i have no experience what so ever) the breeder has refunded me the extra!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >