Dog News

Pet pug Merlin dies on P&O ferry

...has received 31 comments (page 3)
Merlinsmam
New Member!
Female 

23-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Brandykins,

We had to travel that day as we are forces and posted from Germany to UK. Unfortunately we don't get to pick and choose when we have time off to do these journey. We need to book well in advance.
Yes, windows were down and water left.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2014, 08:50 AM
I am unable to retract my statement. The dog, a Pug (and appeared to be at least slightly overweight one) shouldn't have been left in that heat for that length of time. Just a disaster waiting to happen. I see other people claiming that it would have been much smarter to have taken "the tunnel" instead of the ferry.

The fact is that Pugs really struggle in the heat, tend not to breathe well to begin with, and aren't suited for warm weather at all. That is why he died and the other dogs were okay. The owner should have taken that well into account and not even thought about leaving him in that car for that long.

Before I make a decision to do something like this, I always ask around and read up. Had the owner done anything of the sort, she'd have realized how dangerous it was to do what she did.

That being said, I have signed the petition (though as a citizen of the US, my signature holds no power) and offer my deepest condolences to the person who lost their family pet... I know how hard it is to lose a pet.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-07-2014, 10:14 AM
mjfromga your comments are uncalled for and although I know you wont retract anything you have said , you don`t have to then rub salt in the wounds,

If only everyone had your hindsight for forecasting the weather, I would have assumed the owners of the pug did not decide to just up and go on that particular day, you may not realize this, but you have to book in advance for these journeys, and given out weather is unpredictable at the best of times, you would need to be a clairvoyant to know what the weather is going to do on A particular day weeks or mths in front.

Your comments to the owner are uncalled for, the owners of the pug are suffering enough without YOU declaring them the cause of the dogs death.

The system is at fault, not the owners, any sane person would assume the hold (when livestock is in there) would be temperature controlled as airlines do, this is the reason this happened, and the fact you cant go and check on your dogs...

Its easy to sit in judgment and declare what you would do, given you have never had to travel with your dogs, as lets face it you are planning to leave one of your dogs locked up in a pen for 2 days whilst you and your family go on a jolly, so your criticism is a bit rich to be honest..!!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Jackie, I asked about that BEFORE doing it and decided against it. The same thing that I would advise anybody to do before making a decision like that, which I also stated. nobody is perfect.

I didn't just do it without asking to see if it was something that was okay and I think had she asked and researched, she'd likely have decided against it, too. Not that it is even remotely the same IMO.

Also, dogs won't die left outside in the open air with plenty of shade and a dog house with a large bucket of water (for a day and a half once in an entire year!!)... but they DO die all the time from being left in hot cars. Thanks for the garbage comparison, though. Moving right along...

That being said, other people were in agreement that this was the owner's fault until she showed up. Now it's suddenly all the system's fault. Oh, well! Weather predictions don't come into play here. You know it's a very, very hot day, you know your breed is easily susceptible for this problem, and you know the ride is 90+ minutes in the heat.

I'm not perfect, and I make mistakes as a dog owner. Had someone asked me "What would happen to a Pug left in a hot car for 90+ minutes in 30c temps?" my legitimate answer would be "It would die." and I'd absolutely be answering honestly... so no chance in the world I'd have done it.

Rip me all you want, like you always do, belittle my comments and opinions all you want... but nothing will make me retract my statements. There are many comments on the article that blame the dog owner, as well. I agree that the system is at fault for stupid policies that put dogs at risk, so I signed the petition... but I don't believe they are the only ones at fault.

You'd not be saying that either if I wasn't here for you to argue with.
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Totally agree with all of Jackies post. Ok maybe the first post was just an opinion but to me the second post was uncalled for.

Sweet dreams Merlin x
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

23-07-2014, 10:33 AM
Before I make a decision to do something like this, I always ask around and read up.
given the above, I you give it much thought before you decided you were going to leave Jade locked up on her own for 2 day while you went away, hers a scenario for you......

someone leaves a dog in a car on a boat in what they deem to be a safe place ony to come back 1 1/2 later to see its died.....

Some one decides to go away for a weekend and leave a dog in a pen for two days with food and water with no secure garden... when they come back they find the dog 1) gone 2) the dog has tipped the water over within the first hour and eaten ALL the food and died from de-hydration or bloat ...

I`m sure given how you always do your research first then make a formed decision, I wonder if you thought of the above , if you did then that makes what you plan to do even worse!!

To the Pug owner, I am sorry to hear this sad story, I guess it will give us all a wake up call,
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2014, 10:34 AM
We had to travel that day as we are forces and posted from Germany to UK. Unfortunately we don't get to pick and choose when we have time off to do these journey. We need to book well in advance.
Yes, windows were down and water left.
It's this comment that is bothering me and provoking my comments. I mean there is no way I'd left a Pug in that car, I don't think he even stood much of a chance.

Maybe I'm wrong there, but that is what is really bothering me. I'd EXPECT a Pug to die left in a car in that much heat for that long.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2014, 10:43 AM
1) Dog will not be tipping over a huge bucket of water, you know... at all, like... ever
2) Dog does not scarf her food, is over 11 years old and tendencies well known (not that this matters as bloat can happen while house dogs are loose in the house and their owners at work)
3) House is being closely watched by neighbors (day and a half) and dog will bite if intruder bothers her anyway

It's really not even comparable to me, but either way I asked, I read, and I decided AGAINST it for her well being. Like I have in the past. Not claiming to be perfect or always do what is totally right, only claiming that to me... that dog never stood much of a chance.
Dicko
New Member!
Male 

23-07-2014, 02:29 PM
We travel frequently to France with our dog and always go through the tunnel, we have never liked the idea of leaving her alone in the car in the hold.

Dicko
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

23-07-2014, 02:32 PM
I'd EXPECT a Pug to die left in a car in that much heat for that long.
Your comments suggest you think the car is in direct sunlight ???
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top