register for free

Dog News

Experts warn of summer epidemic of ticks

An epidemic of blood-sucking ticks may hit Britain this summer after the mild, wet winter gave them perfect breeding conditions.

The countryside has become home to growing numbers of the bugs, which spread the potentially deadly Lyme disease, zoology experts have warned.

Prof Richard Wall, of Bristol *University, said ticks lurked in woods and grassland and posed “a considerable threat” – *especially to dog walkers.

He added: "Ticks are most commonly found in woodland and long grass areas that are regularly used by dog walkers.

“Climate change can certainly be blamed for the increase as the warmer and damper weather provides a good environment for ticks."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-after-3484449

I really do not like the horrible things.

Your comments and views:
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Oh great they are nasty blighters, Betty had one last year and we had to get the vet to sort it out as her skin is so thin we worried as we tried to pull it off that we would make matters worse.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Always epidemic in hot countries like this one. I detest them but Bella has fortunately only ever had the one. Picked up when in boarding. Not surprising as it is on farmland.

She wears an expensive tick collar as well as being Frontlined when she goes into Boarding now. She was very young the first time - that's why we didn't double up.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Pereg is Frontlined on the first of every month except for December and February, and so far no ticks. Hopefully she will stay tick-free.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Frontline doesn't stop ticks jumping on and biting dogs. It just ensures that they will die and drop off within a certain time period.

Bella is done every 3 or 4 weeks regardless. But then Bella goes onto much more of the sort of terrain where she is likely to pick one up than some dogs do. Ticks are found mostly on stuff that grows.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2014, 10:50 AM
That's true Mollie had one and brushed it off leaving the head inside her eye lid, apparently the frontline killed it but still it was embedded pretty well.
Lizz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-05-2014, 02:02 PM
Programme Plus tablets once a month works wonders on these nasty things - I have 3 Border Collies and live in a very rural location and the cats get Program injections which last 6 months
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2014, 05:33 PM
I don't think that Programme Plus covers ticks, does it??
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Interesting Chris. Says this on a UK pet product site to describe it...
Program Plus - Information
Program Plus tablets are administered for the prevention of fleas, concurrent prevention of heartworm disease and/or treatment of adult stages of gastrointestinal nematodes such as hookworms, roundworm) and whipworms in dogs.
Key Benefits
Prevents Fleas, heartworm diseases and gastro intestinal worms.
In other places I see it described as flea and tick treatment.

But just checked the website I use VETUK and it mentions nothing at all about ticks re Program Plus.
Lizz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-05-2014, 06:08 PM
I have had my dogs on it for the last 12 years and Ticks may bite but they turn grey and fall off with no damage to the dogs - I also have clipped up my long haired dogs to make finding any easier - we have sheep and deer and badgers here so Ticks are always around and we tend to stay out of our woods and paddocks where there is long grass and undergrowth
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top