register for free

Dog News

Dog bites highest in deprived areas

Hospital admissions for dog bites are three times as high in the most deprived areas of England as in the least, official figures show. A report from the Health and Social Care Information Centre showed Merseyside had the highest rate, in the 12 months to January 2014.

The HSCIC figures show dog bites and injuries accounted for 6,740 admissions overall - up 6% on the previous year,

Young children were the most commonly affected.

The data rate for hospital admissions linked to dog bites and strikes for people living in the 10% most deprived areas was 24.1 per 100,000, compared with 8.1 per 100,000 in the 10% least deprived areas
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-27140777

I had not realised that the figures were so high.

Your comments and views:
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 01:08 PM
This isn't something that surprises me, except maybe the figures. Perhaps this is where the government should spend time and effort, instead of putting in place a bsl. Ah well..
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 01:34 PM
No more surprising to me than to read that crime figures are higher in deprived areas. Or that drugs are more of a problem. Or that less children go on to university. Or that unemployment t is higher. Or that house prices are lower. All these factors are what combine to make a deprived.

I think statistics show people in poor areas suffer worse health and all sorts.

Can't understand why they need studies to be aware of this sort of stuff. Or why anyone would be surprised by the results.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2014, 01:42 PM
It really doesn't surprise me as some don't do research into the breed and whether it suits and then don't train it.

I recently did my dissertation on the perception of dogs that showed the further south (UK) had poorer perceptions which slightly contradicts this.

The stats will be higher as not many bites are actually reported to the authorities
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2014, 01:50 PM
I think starts used here are for hospital admissions in which case the will be recorded.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-04-2014, 02:37 PM
I was not surprised about the higher numbers in deprived areas, what surprised me was the total number of hospital admissions for dog bites as a whole.
y_not
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Sorry for generalising but unemployment in deprived areas is generally higher so logic would suggest that people had more time to spend with their dogs training them and getting to understand them.

By understanding our dogs we can "read" their body language and know when there is a potential issue. My Border Collie is not a fan of other dogs but will tolerate a small amount of attention, I know the tail rises, he rises up onto his toes, the ears swivel more forward and then the top lip rises - all this happens in about 2 -3 seconds and during that time he is sent away from the other dog to defuse the potential situation.

It will always be sad when dogs are allowed to attack and people get injured

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top