View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2014, 07:12 PM
We took Pepsi on as an older rescue, knowing that she will be our last.
She is so loving and so devoted to my hubby that I find it very upsetting sometimes when I look at her little face getting whiter and older but I am pleased that we have had the pleasure of owning her and that she has had a happy life with us.

Lol that doesn't answer your question but I don't think there is a cut and dried answer!
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2014, 07:22 PM
I have just been offered the chance to re-home a 2 year old BC.
Ive decided against it for a few reasons. One of which is that Taffy is now 7 so realistically we've got him for another 5 or 6 years. Which would take me to about 70. If we took on this 2 year old that would mean another probably 10 / 12 years bringing me to mid 70's. I cant see OH lasting that long & while at the moment i'm fit enough - who knows in a few years
I would not have any support network of help either, daughter has cats & is working full time & my sister isn't interested in dogs.
Never say never though to an oldie later.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Well I am 59 on my next birthday, and have just got my puppy who is 8 mths old, the breed has a good life span so give or take a few yrs, I could have him for another 14 yrs.. I would like another one in a few years, and/ or rescue older dog. So my guess is Figo and maybe another pup would be the last young larger dogs we will have, I will move onto small dogs or rescue older ones , all depends on what ifs at the give time .
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2014, 09:38 PM
I'm 24 years old, so clearly this topic isn't really for me. I will keep getting puppy after puppy as my oldies pass away until... a LONG TIME. However, my mother is 50 and my father is 53.

My mother can barely go on walks because of a very bad back and my father is disabled because of strokes, gout, etc. He also has kidney and heart failure and is on supportive care at this point, we don't know how long he has left.

I think that if at their age, if I was in that condition... I'd not own any dogs at all. I'd stick to cats, because if you can barely move... then you're going to have a hard time owning a dog... especially my favorite Lab types which is the only breed/mix I'll ever own most likely.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-03-2014, 09:51 PM
That's very sad about your parents, at that age I was still distance riding on my horse, holding down a high stress job (but only 3 days a week thank goodness) and had my dogs as well as one of my sons still living at home.
Hope the prognosis on your father improves
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Our present dog will be our last - with luck he will be with us for some years to come, but we deliberately went to the dogs home to choose an older dog knowing that it might be foolish to get a youngster at our stage in life.

We are still fit enough to walk and care properly for a dog, but who knows what the future holds and I would not want the worry of not being able to do everything to make a dog happy.

So I suppose for us the cut off point will be when we are in our seventies, or thereabouts.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
That's very sad about your parents, at that age I was still distance riding on my horse, holding down a high stress job (but only 3 days a week thank goodness) and had my dogs as well as one of my sons still living at home.
Hope the prognosis on your father improves
Thank you for the kind comments. Unfortunately he is in stages of congestive heart failure (same disease that took his father in his mid 60s) and also chronic renal failure so his prognosis is final.

His father didn't get this disease nearly as early as my father did, so the prognosis is truly very poor. His father also had a very debilitating stroke, whereas my father's stroke was mild... but happened at age 40

He had a TIA in the subsequent years. His BP is still way out of control (155/110) and it's just scary dealing with everyday life these days. But nothing can really be done at this point.

He gets meds to deal with his kidneys and whatnot and it messes with his gout, which he can't take good pain medications for because his kidneys are no good, so he is in a lot of pain some days. Vicious cycle.

I am here to help him as much as I can. Sad way to remember the father you love so much and has done so much for you, but it's life. Allow me to stop moping, as I shall ruin a perfectly good thread.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2014, 08:37 AM
What a depressing thread! Not referring to your posts Myra - really sorry to hear about your father - at least you are able to spend some time with him. I would imagine your dogs are your release valve!

I remember being asked my age by a breeder when in my mid-50s and that was the first time it hit me that I couldn't just go on and on with new puppies and that there would come a time when I would have to make the next one my last.

A few years on and I am anticipating the next puppy (which is 'in the oven' as we speak!). I probably have more dogs than I would normally because of my 'addiction' to competitive agility - you have to have more than one to make it worth while travelling to shows.

I am lucky that I am still fit and able and hope to be able to continue for at least another 15 years so I don't think this new one will be my last.
baranduin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2014, 10:19 AM
I found this a depressing post as in my mind I am in my 40's. However I am 72 next week. When Della the great Dane died in January I knew I wanted another dog but a smaller one. We had 5 Great Danes over a 40 year period.
We got Finn, a 6 month BUHUND, as I wanted a pastoral breed but not a BC in case it was the manic type. Finn is lovely and we are having so much fun: dog classes, playing with other dogs and nice walks.
The breeder emphasized that he was to go back to her if anything should happen to make it impossible to keep him.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Rosie is the last dog I shall share my life with. I got her a couple of years ago when I was 58.

As I only want one dog, I've worked out that by the time my baby leaves us, I won't be in a position to be as sure as anyone can be that I would be the lifetime owner of another so I am making the most of every day of my little girl
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >