register for free

Dog News

The Truth About Your Dog's Food Channel 5 Thursday 9 pm

...has received 99 comments (page 4)
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2014, 12:35 PM
For Dogsey members who have probably read about every type of feeding/food imaginable I doubt the programme revealed anything that wasn't known about already.

I guess it couldn't really draw any conclusions as to which food is best, for that a long term independent study would be necessary and I doubt any 'body' would ever be willing to fund it.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
As for regurgitation of the chicken wing, that is perfectly normal and a natural occurence.
My point was that, if he's just going to bring the food up, he's not going to get any benefit from it.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

31-01-2014, 01:28 PM
...[snip]...
As for regurgitation of the chicken wing, that is perfectly normal and a natural occurence.
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
My point was that, if he's just going to bring the food up, he's not going to get any benefit from it.
Dogs that regurgitate something such as a chicken wing usually do so because they sense that it is too big, so they usually crunch it and then swallow it easily. I have seen Pereg swallow something and immediately regurgitate it, crunch it into a couple of smaller pieces and then swallow them.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2014, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Well that's the thing. SOME dogs. Just like some dogs have problems with certain ingredients in commercial dog food. However, if you feed raw you can often quickly pinpoint where the problem came from, because you know what you're feeding.
Feed your dog a commercial dog food and she's got an allergy or intolerance, it's difficult to find out what she's intolerant to because you simply don't know what's in the dog food!

Similar if you feed a good quality kibble. If you get the complete ingredients list you can find out what it could be that causes problems and switch to a different food. Switching between commercial dog foods when you have a dog with digestive problems however won't solve anything because essentially it's all the same. They can say what they want, they can put words on the packaging all they want and brand it as 'life stage food' or whatever, when you look at the plain ingredient list, it's all the same.

My main issues with commercial dog foods is the high processed grain and sugar content. Now scientifically sugar has been proven to promote the development of diabetes. It also causes obesity and enables cancer to develop more easily by weakening the immune system. These things are true for humans as well.
In dog food there's absolutely no need for salt and sugar and these things are only added to make it tasier. Now, if the food isn't tasty enough for a dog to eat without salt and sugar.. can it really be that good?
It's just as you said. Raw food is generally better for dogs. However she had asked if there were reasons not to feed it, and of course there are reasons. Some of which I mentioned.

My old dog now and my previous Lab mix WOULD NOT touch raw food and I have heard of this before as well from other dog owners. Honestly... if it were more cost efficient to feed raw food and if my dogs did well on it... I'd feed it.

IMO, whatever your dog does well on... that is what you should feed him/her. Jade is 11 and eats kibble made by Purina, because it suits her. It has taken some of the extra weight off and she's 11 with absolutely NO dental problems.

Cancer isn't always caused by food. It can be genetic, it can also come from the environment. People who smoke around their dogs are causing their dogs great harm. I mean diet is only ONE of the many things that is shortening dog's life spans.

Raw food - VERY GOOD.... if your dog does well on it, which not all dogs do. That's all I was saying.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2014, 02:06 PM
I now have the 7th generation of raw fed dogs running round, my oldest girls are 8 and have no dental problems, as far as I am aware (and I am in pretty much regular contact with THEIR breeder) none of her dogs have dental problems either and she has been raw feeding for a very long time.
As for regurgitation of the chicken wing, that is perfectly normal and a natural occurence. There has been recently a very sad case of a puppy choking to death on a piece of kibble by the way, so there are dangers associated with all foods and lifestyles, you only hear about the planes that crash, not the millions that take off, complete their journeys, and land safely.
When you have a young puppy, you're supposed to soak the kibble in water (and use puppy sized kibble) because they CAN choke on it. I'm almost sure the owners failed to do one or both of those things, which caused the choking.

My puppy didn't chew his raw food well enough... or something... and his teeth did begin to deteriorate quickly. I suspect it was the extra bacteria from the raw food that was causing it. Not sure...
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-01-2014, 02:47 PM
You got there before me Malka was going to say they bring it up and eat it again if allowed to trouble is lots of people don't let them because they have not a clue that is what its all about
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Dogs that regurgitate something such as a chicken wing usually do so because they sense that it is too big, so they usually crunch it and then swallow it easily. I have seen Pereg swallow something and immediately regurgitate it, crunch it into a couple of smaller pieces and then swallow them.
Unfortunately, Guy will just run away from it!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

31-01-2014, 03:14 PM
You got there before me Malka was going to say they bring it up and eat it again if allowed to trouble is lots of people don't let them because they have not a clue that is what its all about
I never leave Pereg alone when she has her bone meal - or rather she has it on a large piece of oilcloth about a metre away from my chair, so even if I am not watching her but looking at the monitor I can see her out of the corner of my eye. Not only would I see her if she was in any kind of distress but would also hear her as my deaf ear is the other side!

She has regurgitated a chunk of chicken wing on occasions, ditto turkey neck, but has no problem doing so. She does, incidentally, have her bone meals straight from the freezer so as long as I hear crunch crunch crunch I know she is OK. Usually if the crunching stops it means she has finished whatever it is, and she then licks the oilcloth all over just to make sure there is nothing left!

Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Unfortunately, Guy will just run away from it!
Guy does not know what he is missing!
charlew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2014, 06:53 PM
I saw this. It was interesting to see the 'inventor' of Lily's Kitchen, I buy my 9 year old springer spaniel that sometimes, but due to it being very expensive it has to be an occasional treat. He has a tin for dinner (usually Winalot Senior) & dry food for breakfast & lunch (Natural Dog Food Company). Today I went out & bought something which he used to have regularly but hasn't had for a while - frozen meat 'bricks' (10) especially for dogs, he can have that instead of a tin for dinner a couple of times a week for 5 weeks.
charlew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Ziva_93 View Post
I've just watched the channel five documentary on what to feed your dog and im a little disappointed...... I've heard of raw and the benefits of it but nothing was mentioned that I hadn't already heard. Does anyone know of (first hand or not) of any downsides to raw feeding?
I don't fancy that, they mentioned salmonella - .
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top