register for free

Dog News

Investigation launched after deer was attacked by police dog

An investigation has been launched by Thames Valley Police after a wild deer was attacked by a police dog and subsequently had to be put to sleep. The incident took place in an enclosure near Greenham Common, Berkshire, on private land regularly used for exercising police dogs.

An unnamed eye-witness said: “the dog was mauling the deer and completely ripped its jaw off” in the incident and was witnessed by about 20 – 25 people, including children.

A spokeswoman for Thames Valley Police, Lucy Billen, said that the deer wandered into the enclosure and was chased by the dog, colliding with the perimeter fence.

“The dog's handler located the deer and found that it had sustained injuries consistent with dog bites. He then immediately arranged for a vet to attend to the deer. It was taken to the vet's surgery where it was treated but it had sustained an injury to its mouth that necessitated it being put down.

“The dog remained within the perimeter fence at all times. This perimeter fence is checked regularly to ensure it is completely secure.”

An investigation into the circumstances of this incident is under way.

Your comments and views:
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 12:47 PM
An investigation into the circumstances of this incident is under way
The deer got into their enclosure.
A dog hunted it.

About cover it?
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 12:49 PM
I suppose you could question the dogs suitability for it's job unless it's a work in progress.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Sh*t happens, even the best trained dog isn't ever going to be perfect.

And children saw it so what, we shouldn't be shielding them from what is natural behaviour.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 05:52 PM
tazer - just what I was thinking. Deer got into dog compound. Dog did what dogs do
thats nature

Dosent say anything about the dogs ability to do the job he is being trained for - all dogs could kill something if the conditions are right
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Hmmm I am struggling to understand why a police dog chasing a deer on its time off, would make it unsuitable for its job?

Perhaps someone can elaborate?

It is extremely difficult to TRAIN for deer (unlike joggers, sheep, rabbits etc) added to which the deer could not escape as it was trapped, so the consequences were, I am afraid, inevitable.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 07:03 PM
The statement says the perimeter fence is checked regularly to ensure it's secure - yeah, well, that really worked didn't it?!

Re the Police dog - I take on board what SMOKEY BEAR says about deer being difficult to train for/proof against, but aren't trained Police dogs taught the 'leave' command or something similar, which the handler could have used? Maybe the dog was not fully trained yet?
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2012, 07:50 PM
i always thought the police chose dogs which have predatory instinct above others who are more mellow. The instinct to want to chase and bring down bad guys... Without that predatory need, they wouldn't have the desire to chase as much as they do. Surely, its not shocking that these dogs will indeed chase and bring down deer.

All very sad that this deer did have to be put down. - In my eyes, i would have preferred the dog to finish the job and quickly to stop the poor animal from suffering any further. But if we think at how many deer are culled by humans with guns each hunting season? I know near where i live, its a very high number! (something which i do not condone or like, but i am being realistic and i know it happens.) I'm not saying it is right, but sometimes these things with dogs are unavoidable. The dog was purely acting upon instinct, and was likely already highly aroused and excited, so acted upon its will to want to chase.

Agreed though, it is a shame that the police could not call the dog off. But, its the reality of the world we live in. I'm just waiting for the news to pick up on this, and waft on about how this dog is going to chase and eat babies, and can no longer be a police dog.

On a side note, rest in peace poor little deer which got caught up in all of this.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Well if you ask it to do something and it detours after a deer instead it could be a bit of a failing? Can't see what else you'd be investigating - fencing possibly...
warrey
New Member!
Female 

07-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Pretty simple why there's an investigation. Statement "A spokeswoman for Thames Valley Police, Lucy Billen, said that the deer wandered into the enclosure" then further down "This perimeter fence is checked regularly to ensure it is completely secure". WELL IT WASN'T COMPLETELY SECURE WAS IT!!!! Supposing it had been a child that had "wandered in".
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top