register for free

Dog News

Dog ban for ex Metropolitan Police handler after deaths

A former Metropolitan (Met) Police handler, Mr Ian Craven, has been banned from owning or keeping dogs for three years after two dogs died in a car during hot weather. The dogs, a four-year-old Belgian Malinois called Chay and a six-month-old German Shepherd called Tilly, were left in the car outside a Met training centre in June, when temperatures reached 22.2C by 11 am – in the shade.

The car was parked in an area with no shade. Mr Craven had intended to kennel the dogs while he was about his business but forgot. Hours later, when he remembered, he contacted colleages, but despite officers trying to save the dogs, they both died from heat exhaustion. In a previous incident, Mr Craven had left a spaniel in a car in hot weather and the dog had died.

Mr Craven was ordered to pay Ł3,240 in court costs.

Story by Lucky Star, brought to our attention by Moobli

Your comments and views:
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2011, 07:56 PM
poor dogs r.i.p. and he'll probably still get his pension
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Sentencing him at Westminster Magistrates' Court, District Judge Daphne Wickham said: "I accept it has brought your illustrious career as a sergeant to an end, it may have damaged your wife's career and your reputation with all those around you, and that in itself is a punishment."
I don't agree, this demonstrates how the judiciary are so totally out of touch with the real world.

As mentioned above he'll probably still get his pension and only has to move to a new area to start a new life where no one knows what an ignorant uncaring idiot he is.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-10-2011, 08:15 PM
I think he should have been banned for owning or keeping a dog for life, not just for three years.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Hope it makes other police officers think before they act..
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 09:35 PM
I thought he was still in the Met, just not the dog section-3 years ban for the human-agonizing death for the dogs
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 11:14 PM
grrrrrrrrrrrrr should never be allowed a pet again!
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2011, 06:57 AM
he resigned from his position so a nice fat pension awaits him. justice ??

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top