Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Bitches that kill pups are not pts----there are excuses made for them.rune
no excuses Rune, reasons.... bitches who kill their pups will have a reason either they know the pups is ill, or they fear of the pups life.

Bitches have been knwo to kill their puppies when they are in to busy an environment and they dont feel secure for their pups , they get stressed and sadly kill their babies in the mistake of protecting them.

Originally Posted by galty View Post
You might find it funny.

Any animal that turns and kills its down to blood lust.

That goes hand in hand with the myth of "once tasting blodd"!!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
no excuses Rune, reasons.... bitches who kill their pups will have a reason either they know the pups is ill, or they fear of the pups life.

Bitches have been knwo to kill their puppies when they are in to busy an environment and they dont feel secure for their pups , they get stressed and sadly kill their babies in the mistake of protecting them.

But isn't that the excuse made for them

(I agree btw)
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

21-01-2011, 11:43 AM
In contrast to Luke I know without any shadow of a doubt that I would be unable to pts one of my dogs I suspected of killing another of my dogs. I love my dogs unconditionally and I couldn't just switch that off no matter how much my heart was breaking, as for trust it's earned and a lifetime of trust couldn't be wiped out by one act. Obviously I would take steps to ensure it could never happen again and then work on rebuilding the trust.
None of mine are allowed or encouraged to kill any other animal, my previous terrier did once dispatch a hedgehog he found in the garden and I was frankly repulsed by it, he seemed to be enjoying ripping it to bits and I had to clear up the resulting mess when I eventually got him to leave it alone but he was a terrier it was in his genes whether I like it or not. I certainly didn't make me love him any less.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

21-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Why? because its their "pack" if you want to call it that. Dogs do not go round killing eachother, its amply demonstrated by other dogs being present but not taking part in the killing, if it was "natural" then surely all the dogs that were present in such a situation would pile in?
I think sometimes other factors take over, as we have seen many a time on here, no they dont "normally" go round killing each other, but we do know that dogs that have lived happily for yrs together can suddenly fall out, and in some cases one will kill another, by intent or accident, we will never know that.

I agree though , with the views that I could never see the dog in the same light or want it in my home, I would not blame the dog, but I probably have it PTS>
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
My tuppence worth, if any of mine ever killed another pet in the manner we're discussing I would no longer trust this animal at all, it would be pts.
My terriers have always dispatched vermin happily, but because I allow them too and if I called them off they wouldn't just go ahead and do so, I couldn't imagine not having control of such high prey drives and potentiality destructive dogs. As a side note I had working terriers, my JRT in particular was a bloodthirsty little so and so at times, and kept cats, and heaps of rabbits, guinea-pigs, and ducks and the dogs never harmed them, not once, never even went too. I know of working lurchers kept alongside cats and small furries happily, the point i'm making is you really can't compare the concept of dogs being worked on vermin to that of a dog killing another, as it's not the same as is done under the owners control-or should be anyway, I wouldn't have an animal just go off killing things whilst in my care if I didn't want it too.
I really fail to see how you can justify keeping a dog who has killed another, yet again I find the dispensible attitude of cats being killed by dogs sickening too, there you go maybe I and others do not fit with this "new regime" of dogsey which has come about I'm perfectly aware dogs are animals, but they can't be compared to the actions of livestock and such, as they are animals we choose to trust in our homes.
I will come back to saying what if you were not there to witness?

To me it would depend on loads of little things. Including the behaviour of the dog prior and after the event, and how much I felt that dogs life would be changed by the restrictions I would probably impose on it.

But I love my dogs, the thought of having one pts for what could possibly have been an accident and with the chance of not being 100% sure 'that' dog had been the one to preform the act. That is also unthinkable and SO unfair IMO.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
In contrast to Luke I know without any shadow of a doubt that I would be unable to pts one of my dogs I suspected of killing another of my dogs. I love my dogs unconditionally and I couldn't just switch that off no matter how much my heart was breaking, as for trust it's earned and a lifetime of trust couldn't be wiped out by one act. Obviously I would take steps to ensure it could never happen again and then work on rebuilding the trust.
None of mine are allowed or encouraged to kill any other animal, my previous terrier did once dispatch a hedgehog he found in the garden and I was frankly repulsed by it, he seemed to be enjoying ripping it to bits and I had to clear up the resulting mess when I eventually got him to leave it alone but he was a terrier it was in his genes whether I like it or not. I certainly didn't make me love him any less.
You said it better.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

Never ever believed that Myth
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:06 PM
At the end of the day we have to remember we are talking about animals here not humans.
I don't think we as humans can ever fully understand why dogs revert to doing things like this when they are normally calm and placid. We can guess and we can try and work out the reasons, but they will be how our human mind sees them not necessarily right about what happened in the dogs mind, and until dogs can talk and tell us why we can only assume we know.
How would I feel if one of my dogs ever done that? Again I can only guess but until faced with the situation personally with your dogs you love, I don't think you can truthfully say how you woud feel or react. Things are always different when it actually happens to you personally.
As we all know our own dogs best and as we have never met most dogs on this forum I don't think any of us can say what is wrong, what is right, what should be done or even what actually happened.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by galty View Post
Never ever believed that Myth
So why use it as a reason the ferret Killed her Kitts?
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:11 PM
I haven't been on for some time so haven't read all through this post but the reason I don't keep bitches together is that many years ago a friend with several dogs had two litter sisters who had lived together all their lives who fought to the death one night in total silence & with no one else being disturbed. There was no way of knowing who started it but the vet bill for the bitch who survived was enormous but she never thought about having her put down. We can't put human emotions to dogs.
Page 7 of 56 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »