View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Its an inbred instinct that can't be totally surpressed IMO - thats what their teeth are designed for !
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Lol, just read my post above and Jed has proved me wrong! The 4 dogs were rabbiting the other day and Jed was out of sight. I called for him and he materialised with a baby bunny in his mouth. I made him drop it in the hope it was still unharmed but alas it was headless so I let him finish it off. Jessie has also munched away at some leverets she found so it goes to show that even the gentlest of dogs at home can become the wolf when prey is about.

I dont want my dogs to become obsessed about hunting and there are some wild animals I wouldnt want them to kill such as deer but as far as rabbits, pheasants, partridge, wood pigeon etc go, if they catch something and dont consume it on the spot then it gets taken home, prepared and they have a bit of raw for dinner.

My Mum thinks it's shocking my dogs hunt. She naively said that she didnt think domesticated dogs behaved in such a way and that her previous family dogs never chased things or ate the family rabbit. She said it's cruel and I shouldnt feed them what they catch as they could get ill from it!
Better hope you don't get caught and prosecuted for hunting with dogs
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2009, 05:27 PM
When we first got Maggie and realised she was a hunter it terrified me because her recall disappears and she goes deaf. She hasn't actually caught anything yet. She did find an already dead baby rabbit (or maybe it died of shock) and very proudly brought it out to us and was ever so gentle with it. Was a shock though never having had a dog with such a strong prey drive before.

I generally let her off the lead where I know there are not likely to be lots of rabbits/squirrels etc to chase and try and get her chasing a ball instead or find other dogs to play with. I just worry about her recall in other places and cos we live very near the A1 I just don't want to take the risk. We're lucky that our local playing field is (so far) dog friendly and she gets a good run there but I have to keep my eyes skinned or she'll be off.
The other day we took her to the beach and she took off after 2 low flying ducks and vanished into the horizon. We honestly thought that was it and we'd lost her. Then we see a dot far off slowly getting bigger and bigger as she ran full pelt back.......at least she knew to come back eventually. But my heart was in my mouth for a few minutes there!

Anyway. I think dogs will be dogs and lots love to chase and hunt. I honestly don't know how to train it out of her so I just manage it instead and try not to get worked up about it.

I've waffled on enough...soz.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2009, 05:39 PM
If you just happen to be out with your dog and it catches a rabbit or whatever, this doesn't mean you are hunting - my dog chases all the time, rabbits, birds, squirrels and last week she very nearly caught a hare - i haven't trained her to be like that she does it through instinct - if she catches it so be it. There is a big difference between actually training a dog to hunt and to use it for that than a dog that just happens to chase and occasionally catch prey imo.

I do know someone that goes rabbiting with their JRT - he hasn't been trained he does it through instinct, he catches quite a few apparently and they are cooked and eaten not wasted. If its on common ground i don't see how you could be prosecuted.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Well the law states that unless you are on private land with the owners permission you can be prosecuted .This is whether or not you intended your dog to catch the rabbits .
My whippets did catch the occasional rabbit 14 years ago when they were young but that was before the law changed . I never encouraged them and I was ashamed of their actions . They would certainly not have been allowed to eat them as I would think this would encourage them to do it even more .
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Ashamed of a dogs natural instincts ??? why ? -its normal , not sure about the law, how would they police that then ? unless they patro and actually see it happen. As i said i do not go out intending my dog to catch anything but if she does well not much i can do about it.

Can't see what difference letting the dog eat its prey would make personally - what about raw feeding, you could say that might encourage it as well then as its raw meat
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2009, 07:26 PM
I must admit there is somthing amazing about seeing my otherwise lazy and a bit dim lurcher turn into a hunter. Its like watching a different dog when she is working on the rabbits. And for me its the best most natural way to control rabbits, better then gas, snares or mixi. Just because they are cute and fluffy makes then no less of a pest then a rat. I wonder how many people would be outraged by people hunting rats with dogs??
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Ashamed of a dogs natural instincts ??? why ? -its normal , not sure about the law, how would they police that then ? unless they patro and actually see it happen. As i said i do not go out intending my dog to catch anything but if she does well not much i can do about it.

Can't see what difference letting the dog eat its prey would make personally - what about raw feeding, you could say that might encourage it as well then as its raw meat
It may be natural but I do not like my dogs to kill defensless animals .
Raw feeding may well encourage them but it's not something I would ever feed my dogs
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I must admit there is somthing amazing about seeing my otherwise lazy and a bit dim lurcher turn into a hunter. Its like watching a different dog when she is working on the rabbits. And for me its the best most natural way to control rabbits, better then gas, snares or mixi. Just because they are cute and fluffy makes then no less of a pest then a rat. I wonder how many people would be outraged by people hunting rats with dogs??
I would be outraged at people hunting rats or any other living creature with dogs
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2009, 07:48 PM
I think the Law only applies if you go out with your dogs *intending* to hunt and kill something. If you are out walking your dogs and they catch and kill a rabbit, it is highly unlikely you would be prosecuted. Let's face it, organised fox hunts don't get prosecuted when they blatantly flout the law, so Joe Public walking his dog is hardly likely to attract much attention.
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »