Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2008, 09:17 AM

what flea/tic prevention do you use?

Up to now i have used tea tree oil after a bath and so far no problems.

we will be spending the summer in the countryside next to a farm and so am i right in thinking my city dogs are more likely to pick up "things" in the fields? If so - what do you use? there seems to be a whole load of conflicting info out there so any help is appreciated

thanks
xxx
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 10:42 AM
I use Advocate on one of my dogs (every other wormer makes him sick). It's a spot on treatment for fleas, tics, worms - just about everything.

My foster dog has Advantage for fleas and Drontal for worms.

We live at the edge of the town and walk through a lot of fields so I like to keep them well protected.

HTH
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 11:56 AM
So far I have been relying on a raw diet to give him the acidic blood that nasties dont like
Have been walking in long grass by livestock and water and woodland and stuff and my friends dogs picked up ticks but so far (touch wood) Ben has been fine
Dont fancy the idea of putting pesticides on a dog - will treat the problem if I get one
same with worms - vet was happy there was nothing on or in him!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 12:09 PM
I don't use anything unless Teagan has them.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-07-2008, 12:11 PM
I use advocate too....I think its great!
My boys never had fleas...ticks or anything yet.
He used to hate me putting it on though, but he soon got used to it!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm an Advocate fan or Advantage, although my vet recently prescribed me with Stronghold. All I know is I don't like Frontline anymore and neither do my vets. When I used it every month both my dogs were always covered in tics from the long grass, and it made one of them's skin condition a lot, lot worse, so I stopped on recommendation from the vet anyway.
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Don't use anything and up to now haven't needed to. Don't see the point in worming unless they have worms and although they have had a couple ticks, I've uesd a tick remover which is excellent at getting the whole tick out in one go...they have never had fleas so don't see the point in plonking poisons on them unnecessarily
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 07:48 PM
I use Advocate monthly and then worm with Drontal every 6 months for tapeworm
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all your replies

It seems Advocate is the way to go lets hope my vet doesnt charge me his €60 fee to get a prescription for it
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2008, 09:19 PM
For alternative/herbal options, I use:

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE) for both deworming and fleas, mites, lice and ticks.

For worming you give a 25kg adult a tablespoon a day for 30 days - puppies have a teaspoon a day. I mix with water and they seem to enjoy it!
For fleas/ticks/lice/mites I dust them thoroughly using an old talc powder shaker and then work it down onto the skin by hand, and I go easy on the shaker as it's easy to create a dust storm!

(I used to use Frontline, although it was too toxic for my male, so have just switched to DE)

DE from - http://www.bitlessbridle.co.uk/shop/...roducts_id=354

For extra tick protection for a specific outing, I spray on Tick Guard available from http://www.dirtworks.net/Botanical-S...Repellent.html

(Dirtworks are USA but ship worldwide - they also sell DE)

I'm also just in the process of ordering Neem Leaf capsules and Neem spray which has good ratings for fleas and mites etc. available from http://www.neemgenie.co.uk/Merchant2...egory_Code=007
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >