View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vikvak
New Member!
Female 

15-01-2008, 05:59 PM

What age does a dog need to be on senior food?

hi

i was just wondering when a bitch should move form standard dog food to senior mixes?

i have a 7 year old staffie X bitch and im not sure when to move her to senior food. :smt100:
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2008, 06:01 PM
We have a 12 year old and just lost a 15 year old and they had never been on senior food. She is just on the maintainance dry food.

Helen
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2008, 06:18 PM
hi hun i think it is all down to what you feed them if its a complete dry food then the give a age guide on the bags, sorry not much help i now every one does it at diffrent times, i feed dry complete so would probay go with there age guides as there are diffrent things in each age group. hope that helps a bit hun sorry. good luck
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2008, 07:27 PM
I would only consider swopping my dogs over to a senior food if they are feeling a bit achy in their joints as senior food tends to have more of the joint mobility ingredients in them so if your dog is OK and walking fine I wouldn't worry.
Becky
Beth95
New Member!
Female 

20-04-2015, 03:20 PM
A senior dog is around 7/8 years old. Senior foods have a slightly increased protein content which will prevent muscle wastage that is often seen in older dogs. It also has a lower calorie count to prevent weight gain and joint strain
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Tbh it depends on the dog and how active they are, lots of 8 year olds still behave like Pups. My staffie is 8 and raw fed but hasn't slowed down at all with age, he might do when he gets to 12.
thedogproblems
New Member!
Male 

23-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Vikvak View Post
hi

i was just wondering when a bitch should move form standard dog food to senior mixes?

i have a 7 year old staffie X bitch and im not sure when to move her to senior food. :smt100:
Weight of the dog and age determines senior.There is no special food for the senior dogs but basically look for a high quality product with less energy,ess phosphorus and more fiber.I suggest you to give the dogs favorite regular adult food and add Glycoflex lll and a fish oil tab on it.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2015, 11:56 PM
Personally I find life stage diets nothing but a gimmick. There should be no real reason why your dog can't stay on her usual adult food, and at 7 she is by no means a senior yet ( despite the many guides that say otherwise ) My 12 year old is still on 'normal' adult food and I have no plans in swapping her over. The pup never ate puppy food either and went straight on to what the older two ate.
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2015, 05:30 AM
Ive only ever tried a senior food once but it upset my dog so much that I went back to his old food..

I think its owners choice and what the dog tolerates.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-04-2015, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by Dogloverlou View Post
Personally I find life stage diets nothing but a gimmick. There should be no real reason why your dog can't stay on her usual adult food, and at 7 she is by no means a senior yet ( despite the many guides that say otherwise ) My 12 year old is still on 'normal' adult food and I have no plans in swapping her over. The pup never ate puppy food either and went straight on to what the older two ate.
I agree, I think 'senior foods' are a selling gimmick for the dog food manufacturers. I think it is unnecessary.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >