View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kimassok
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Yes I know, common here in Norway aswell .

More common here than weightpulling - is testing the dogs being tested in "races" against it own breed with rules and times appropriate for the breeds.

On these races we use the dogs as pulling sledge in wintertime, only using cart instead, in minimum 5 km up to 8 km summer and spring. In wintertime, the distance is of course segnificantly longer from 10 km to 1000 km or longer, depending on what you want to yourself with your dog.

These competitions are very fun. but sadly most of the arangements take place much further south than we live, and then sadly it is very expensive to participate in these arangements.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Kimassok View Post
Yes I know, common here in Norway aswell .

More common here than weightpulling - is testing the dogs being tested in "races" against it own breed with rules and times appropriate for the breeds.

On these races we use the dogs as pulling sledge in wintertime, only using cart instead, in minimum 5 km up to 8 km summer and spring. In wintertime, the distance is of course segnificantly longer from 10 km to 1000 km or longer, depending on what you want to yourself with your dog.

These competitions are very fun. but sadly most of the arangements take place much further south than we live, and then sadly it is very expensive to participate in these arangements.
Yes we have the same here (Working Rallies) but again, most are too far north for us.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Yes we have the same here (Working Rallies) but again, most are too far north for us.
ABSA rallies are almost predominantly in the south

I must admit I don't do too many Sibe Club rallies (other than my local ones) as these are dotted all round the country.

Hopefully in time they will add more weightpull events down here. North Yorks is a bit far for a single day event
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
ABSA rallies are almost predominantly in the south

I must admit I don't do too many Sibe Club rallies (other than my local ones) as these are dotted all round the country.

Hopefully in time they will add more weightpull events down here. North Yorks is a bit far for a single day event
I guess it depends where you call South ?!

The closest one ABSA have done since we've had Mals in this Country is still over 150 miles away (Dorset), (the rest are even further) and rightly or wrongly, I don't feel I can justify a 300+ mile round trip for a single '4 mile' rally, when I can do the same with my dogs locally as and when I please !! and I really can't justify an 800 mile round trip for a single day weight pull event in Yorkshire.

When I say South I mean beyond the Devon Border, as it seems anything to do with Malamutes seems to think that Devon and Cornwall have been sliced off of the UK !
Kimassok
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Well, I do not feel either I can justify going this far for a single day event, frustrating. But this winter season I've decided to travel about 5000 km to participate in a 1000 km winter-race. This is not something I do often, as you understand, but if I want to document my dogs endurance workwise, I will do it this time.
I've managed to keep the dogs in reasonable good physical shape, in spite the warm temperatures last months, luckily.
So I'm working on my own Physical shape, lol
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I guess it depends where you call South ?!
The south of England obviously

The closest one ABSA have done since we've had Mals in this Country is still over 150 miles away (Dorset), (the rest are even further) and rightly or wrongly, I don't feel I can justify a 300+ mile round trip for a single '4 mile' rally, when I can do the same with my dogs locally as and when I please !!
Ah ok, I guess others don't mind travelling those distances, it is only about 2 1/2 hours each way. Most people travel far more than this for shows where you are lucky if a judge gives you 2 minutes of consideration and depending on the number in the class, often you can be in and out in 10 - 15 mins (for a small class) I guess it is just what you enjoy

We do rallies that are 150 miles away (although we probably don't go much further, unless we go to Aviemore) - aren't the rallies around the Forest of Dean closer to you? The SHCGB ran one at Quantock Quest (Somerset) the year before last.

Originally Posted by Kimassok View Post
Well, I do not feel either I can justify going this far for a single day event, frustrating. But this winter season I've decided to travel about 5000 km to participate in a 1000 km winter-race. This is not something I do often, as you understand, but if I want to document my dogs endurance workwise, I will do it this time.
I've managed to keep the dogs in reasonable good physical shape, in spite the warm temperatures last months, luckily.
So I'm working on my own Physical shape, lol
Kimassok you will have to keep us updated with your progress in this!! It sounds like a fantastic opportunity
Kimassok
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Yes I can do that, if you all find it interesting
I have no expectations, and have as a goal to finish it till the end in good style
I got a quite serious injury in my left knee on a raw winter trip with my dogs on sledge in January (but ooh we had so much fun!!!!). The sledge tripped over and my foot went around left way as my knee went around right way
I don't know what its called in English, but its same knee damage that football-players use to get
So as it is now I am unable to train the way I want to and need to as to condition. I have no stabilisation in my knee, so I'll have to fin some kind of bandage to lock my knee to be able to train and participate!
But - as I always say - now I just have to find an alterative way to get things done in best possible way, right?!
So this will be exciting - am really looking forward to it!!!
nvidia
New Member!
Female 

12-02-2009, 02:52 AM
There are 2 clubs in the south one you can find by google southern-staffords
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Hello,

I don't weight pull with Tonks and it has never appealed to me. I am sure it can be a great sport but i left staff forums because i was dissapointed with the amount of people interested in weight pulling and using flirt poles etc when, on the other hand, they also had difficulty with their dogs basic obedience and socialization.

I could not understand thier mentality comminting time and effort to teaching and coaching weight pulling when they had never put effort in to basic positive intelligent training and thourough socialization.

I'm afraid i became very disolusioned with it all. I am sure there are weight pulling enthusiasts that do all of the above as well as weight pulling though.
Matt and Vikki
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Here are a few pictures of Weightpull at Aviemore sled dog event curtesy of samnooshka designs

http://samnooshka.ifp3.com/site/#/ga...e-weight-pull/

I think the top weight pulled for a malamute is something like 1800lbs at the moment, however so much depends on pulling surface, tire pressure on the trolley etc

AMWA (Alaskan Malamute Working Assosiation) have another event going on in Banham, Norfolk at Easter which has camping on site however it is only open to recognised Sled dog breeds.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >