Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
I just love that picture, I should have entered it in the competition, he looks very striking and such a happy looking fella too, beautiful blue eyes.....
Did you take that pic??Where was it taken.. I've never seen a yellow one before
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2006, 07:31 PM
I was chatting to a bloke on a shoot at the beginning of the week as he has gwp's. He was telling me that he first saw them in the 60s when he was overseas. They were hunting elk with elkhounds and the gwps were pulling sleds to carry the elks. Just a bit of trivia there lol.

Helen
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tuuli View Post
The first Iditarod was run in 1973 so since then there has been 36 races. Almost 100 teams have signed for the 2007 race (all including 16-20 dogs). During the last years there has been 1 or 2 deaths per year.
The OP has non-sled dogs (a GSD, a rottie and Utes) and so will not be eligible to run in many races in the UK as far as I know. It's this I query.

As John Suter showed, even poodles can successfully compete even in the very toughest of conditions. Poodles don't have a second coat and so I understand why he was eventually banned from the Iditarod. But there are no comparable races in the UK to the conditions and length of that Alaskan 1000+ mile race so I'm not sure why non-sled dogs are refused here. Maybe it would be just too galling for a sled-dog team to be beaten by a team of poodles

I hope poopie (the OP) finds a group that is more open to her dogs. The British Association of Mushers talk of other breeds running and might be a good place to start. But forget the Sled Dog Association of Scotland as it only allows Alaskan Malamutes, Canadian Eskimo / Greenland Dogs, Samoyeds and Siberian Huskies.
husky-love
New Member!
Male 

10-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Had to share this, I found it the other day when I was looking for reference for sled dogs for a tattoo, he is an Alaskan Husky Pointer cross.
Thats JR he belongs to Fiona and Alan Stewart who run the sled dog centre in Aviemore, I had the pleasure of meeting him two weeks ago
Tuuli
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-11-2006, 05:31 AM
Originally Posted by tillytails View Post
The OP has non-sled dogs (a GSD, a rottie and Utes) and so will not be eligible to run in many races in the UK as far as I know. It's this I query.
I think that sucks. In here (i.e. Finland) everyone can enter races, no matter the breed. They wont just get judged in the race trials as the pure bred teams do. Actually a guy that lives just on the other side of the road has raced with Golden Retrievers.

As John Suter showed, even poodles can successfully compete even in the very toughest of conditions.
Half true, yes. Physically & mentally they can but that is only half the battle. The environment is the other half. Which makes the race very tough even for sled dog breeds.

I hope poopie (the OP) finds a group that is more open to her dogs. The British Association of Mushers talk of other breeds running and might be a good place to start. But forget the Sled Dog Association of Scotland as it only allows Alaskan Malamutes, Canadian Eskimo / Greenland Dogs, Samoyeds and Siberian Huskies.
I'm very sad things are that bad in the UK. Everone should be able to race, and I really dont see any point (like you said) banning any breed (or mix) entering a sprint race. Makes me think what are they afraid of? :smt002
my own dogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-11-2006, 06:02 AM
I owna very beatiful siberian husky and she hates
to pull ! she refuce to done somthing shes not will.
and I cant force her to something shes not will.
so I begin to training her to be a good watchdog and schutzhound.
and learn her to seek after humans,animals and other things. shes great on it. she have help police to and they gave her good critism to. shes like that. shes have a approve mentall test to. she working like a german shepherd dog.
I very proud over my s.husky girl.
she is very good watchdog home and that she haved sems she was a little puppy.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by husky-love View Post
Thats JR he belongs to Fiona and Alan Stewart who run the sled dog centre in Aviemore, I had the pleasure of meeting him two weeks ago
Ahhh duh!! sorry I thought they had taken it at Delamere.

I think it was the bit where they said they should have entered it in the competition.. made me think they had taken it themselves..
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Did you take that pic??Where was it taken.. I've never seen a yellow one before
No I didn't take the photo wish I had though.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by husky-love View Post
Does he always look soooo happy ?
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by tillytails View Post
Sadly about 120-130 dogs have died in the Iditarod, most of which are of course northern breeds. Cause of these deaths include injuries, pnemonia and heart failure. I'm not suggesting the rules excluding anything but northern breeds for the gruelling Iditarod is wrong, though I do query the limitation to northern breeds for sledding in the UK.
Sooo sad, and I presume the mushers are aware of the dangers.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >