Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cossack
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Hi,
In many places - such as Forestry Commission land - you will need a permit to run and it usually means a charge. I look at local maps for tracks or walkways off the beaten trail and ask permission of the local owner to use. A thank you present at Christmas is usually sufficient, providing you treat their land with courtesy and dont cause a problems with their day to day work. See if there is anyone in your area with sled dogs and see where they train. You may be able to go along with them.
Certainly for non-sled dogs I would not put them on the rig to pull until 12 months old.
I train my Husky puppies from six months with the harness on the small items to pull so as not to put a strain on them but by 8 months they are running beside the rig and then on short distances, usually after the adults have run on the last few yards back to the finish until they are ready to run out on short distances, gradually increasing to full distance by 12 months old. I would not do this with any other breed.

I do hope you find someone in your area to help and guide you as it is always more fun, and safer, to start out with others who can support you when starting out.
Good luck and have fun.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2006, 01:24 PM
That's good news that you don't need a permit for a scooter - they do look like a lot of fun.
Bluesandtwos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2006, 08:10 AM
Hi
We have 6 sibes and currently a 3 dog race team (as number 4 is on maternity leave). Our most recent rehome has been taking her place at wheel on the rig. we and upto four other 'mushers' meet up early on a sunday morning to train, and run anything upto 6 dogs on the rig. I have a steeldog rig too, picked up as a six month old one for a bargain price. We also have a passanger rig, here a second person can ride on a seat. We start training at six months, with young dogs running at the front of a mountain bike, before graduating to the rig when older. Non-sled breeds can work for fun and can compete in certain rallies. heres a couple more pics of Huskies in action :

bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Great pics, lovely dogs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Great photos - looks like a lot of fun
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 09:48 AM
I was always under the impressions scooters needed a permit as they are "fuelled" by dogs??
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Kanikula View Post
I was always under the impressions scooters needed a permit as they are "fuelled" by dogs??
No.. as they are essentially bikes...

You can bike your dogs without a permit and you can scoot your dogs without a permit...

BUT

thats only on public land..

If its forestry commisson land etc a word with the ranger will be enough if its a bike or a scooter.. but rigs are a whole nother deal..
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Fantastic pics... that looks like a lot of fun
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Great stuff! thanks
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran