View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-02-2006, 09:41 AM

Does anyone Line Breed? Is it better than best to best?

Does Any1 here line breed? do they think its better than best to best breeding? also why is it better and how long would it take to "cement" certain traits in the dogs(colour,size etc)

thanx 4any replies in advance
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 10:40 AM
In my opinion, line breeding is better than what you call ''best'' to ''best''. To declare a dog ''best'' involves a competition and an experienced opinion. So most people are not capable of deciding that. What you might say is best, I might call mediocre, and vice versa.

When line breeding a breeder is looking back on a pedigree and identifying an individual that was or is particularly successful in terms of breed standard and particularly successful at passing on those qualities to their progeny.

A''best'' dog may be unsuccessful at passing on his desirable qualities, but his less outstanding brother might be better able to do that. It's all a case of experience, looking and learning, and asking the ones who are likely to know.

Dog breeding isn't an exact science, if it were, the perfect dog might have already been born. As it is, we just have to keep trying, and doing our best.

Dawn R.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm amazed that this thread hasn't generated more interest, so I'm bumping it back up to the top.

Dawn R.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 07:28 PM
I dont breed myself though plan to in the future. My friend breeds GSD's and definately goes for the "line" option. As has been said just because a dog is certified "best" by somebody doesnt mean it is, and it may not pass on those traits. First on my list are health, temprement and working ability - if a dogs conformation differs from the breed standard but it shows the other traits I dont really care!

Dawn - your answer was that good noone can think of anything else to add
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Wow, do you mean everyone agrees with me?

I bet they don't, that's unheard of, I'm usually the one bucking the trend.

Dawn R.
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 07:55 PM
I think linebreeding is better than 'best to best' for the simple reason that you are going back to whatever produced the 'best' in the first place. You are also 'fixing' certain traits (hopefully the best) in that line.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Totally agree Dawn, I find the simple forula for line breeding is that 'the sire of the sire should be Grandsire of the Dam on the Dam's side'. I just look at my bitches pedigrees and look for a good typical son from the Grandsire to mate her to. A lot of breeders tend to rush out and mate with the latest Champion and never consider that the sire of the Champion proberbly has all 'the goods' after all he has sired good produce, but most inportantly does he suit your bitches pedigree and temperament. I have found that this line of breeding is quite rewarding but it can take years to produce the right stuff.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Think each mating requires separate consideration, both line breeding and best to best require that the breeder knows, if at all possible, that the line is totally clear of health problems. When line breeding there is more chance of mating carrier to carrier, the chance is much less if outbreeding.

Looking at a few pedigrees will usually show that in practice most breeders will do both.

Suppose it also depends on what you are breeding for, most good breeders will be looking for health and temperament first and conformation next, assuming that they will not be breeding dogs with poor conformation anyway.
Taking either best to best or line breeding only works if consideration is given not only to the produce of the first generation but also of the second and third.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2006, 08:19 PM
I think outbreeding is helpful when your line needs something putting back into the line with Blenheims in our breed they can go lighter in colour over time so a good Tri-colour very richly marked would be very desirable, plus the size of our breed should be short-coupled but this can sometimes go astray so it help using a small sire which tends to be very desired today with our breed, I have seen so many breeders come out of the show ring and say 'I think my dog was a little more stocky than the rest' and can be very disheartning when you have travelled miles to a show.
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-02-2006, 09:56 AM
by line breeding do u all mean inbreeding? keeping it the same family of dogs? so like father daugher/mother son or granson breedings? if so then how much can u line breed before you have health problems?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >