Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
You and others have a great talent of talking down, well typing, to people who have experience within hunts so quite understand the way things are. I don't take kindly to this thanks. Any hunt I have known of, it has been pest control. They are offered permission to hunt on land by relevant land owners who have been experiencing problems or feel over populated, that's how it's always been. Can't comment on what you're bleating on about, as I have never heard of nor encountered this. Never heard of it from any family members either.
Oh and make the, all dressed up argument. Most of those all dressed up don't really give two nods about hunting, and are there more from a horse point of view!
seems youve fallen hook line and sinker for the control spiel lol. Dont you know any of the history about your 'sport'?

If it was about pest control the hunting classes wouldnt have reintroduced foxes from the continent after they had hunted them to extinction!

Foxes were shipped over to Australia so the hunters could satisfy their blood lust over there,... the foxes have wreaked havoc with Australias fragile eco system!

The Beaufort hunt, the one Prince Charles rides with, was filmed undercover 'breeding foxes' & shown on the BBC . Its a well known fact that hunts encourage foxes to breed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/fe...g.ruralaffairs

http://www.acigawis.co.uk/artificial_earths.htm

Fox hunting about 'pest control'!? dont make me laugh
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2012, 02:26 PM
im not going to keep arguing, but i will stand by point.

those hounds arent hunting, they arent speaking on the scent at all, which means they stumbled across it rather than hunted it.

dressing up is all part of the hunt scene. i have my uniform i wear every week, tweed hat and all. its part of the appearance. thats what people expect to see when there's a big group of hounds. (we have 12 hounds at the minute and 6 pups out for next year) i have a horn. how else do i get dogs back? there are different blow commands for different things, just like using a whistle or voice command. i also have a whip.. all part of the uniform (which i love by the way!)

people that havent worked with hounds can fight all they like, and tell me im wrong, but i KNOW im not. i work with my hounds at least once a week, more often than not at least twice. i know how hounds hunt, and those hounds arent.

totally agree with borderdawn and jackbox on this one. bowing out now, because i can talk till im blue in the face and not convince people that they are wrong. until youve worked with hounds, been on hunts (both drag and real) so know the difference and how it all works, you do not know what those hounds are doing in that video.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I would say that`s exactly what the footage showed .

Its obvious to see, the hut had not even got on the way, the fox wondered into the path, 5 or 7 hounds .

Take a close look at the footage, the horses have not even got a sweat on, they are clean the hounds are clean no one is mud splashed and if you look hard enough you can see a horsebox in the background with the ramp down,

All this indicates the meet has not yet got on the way, which is why the antis happened to be at hand,

Lets face it, with the law as it is, the hunt would have to be pretty stupid to throw a fox into a pack with someone filming it
I wanted to rep you for this but I can't.

I have never been a fan of hunting or shooting. But then I got gundogs. There is an irresistible urge for them to hunt. And I found out the hard way - it is better to control their desire than to go against it. I think the same could be said for hounds too. Hunting with dogs is illegal, but tracking isn't. I let my dogs track scents and if there is something on the end of that scent it either gets away or is unlucky.. actually - it's the former, my dogs can't catch anything for toffee.

I agree that the hunt would be pretty stupid to just unleash a fox into the path of dogs whilst camera's were on them.
The dogs didn't even look like they were going to do any damage. If that was a dog and they meant to do some damage - you could tell they weren't going to.
And the very fact that after they were told to leave - they did? And if the huntsmen really wanted it dead, they had the power to stop that woman, horses are very big.

Being young dogs they probably wouldn't have known what to do other than that was the scent. Fox hunting has been banned for a while.. they won't have known to "rip it to shreds". And they all looked pretty docile, not ravenous to kill?

You may not like fox hunting or any hunting - but these dogs clearly were on exercise or a drag hunt. Not actually hunting. Well done to the woman though, lucky for her there isn't rabies in this country.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2012, 02:41 PM
I think the woman who jumped in and grabbed the vixen was extremely brave, but was lucky not to be bitten

From the footage, it looks to me as though the hunt know there is a fox there, but the hounds have not spotted (or perhaps even scented) it yet.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I would say that`s exactly what the footage showed .

Its obvious to see, the hut had not even got on the way, the fox wondered into the path, 5 or 7 hounds .

Take a close look at the footage, the horses have not even got a sweat on, they are clean the hounds are clean no one is mud splashed and if you look hard enough you can see a horsebox in the background with the ramp down,

All this indicates the meet has not yet got on the way, which is why the antis happened to be at hand,

Lets face it, with the law as it is, the hunt would have to be pretty stupid to throw a fox into a pack with someone filming it
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
im not going to keep arguing, but i will stand by point.

those hounds arent hunting, they arent speaking on the scent at all, which means they stumbled across it rather than hunted it.

dressing up is all part of the hunt scene. i have my uniform i wear every week, tweed hat and all. its part of the appearance. thats what people expect to see when there's a big group of hounds. (we have 12 hounds at the minute and 6 pups out for next year) i have a horn. how else do i get dogs back? there are different blow commands for different things, just like using a whistle or voice command. i also have a whip.. all part of the uniform (which i love by the way!)

people that havent worked with hounds can fight all they like, and tell me im wrong, but i KNOW im not. i work with my hounds at least once a week, more often than not at least twice. i know how hounds hunt, and those hounds arent.

totally agree with borderdawn and jackbox on this one. bowing out now, because i can talk till im blue in the face and not convince people that they are wrong. until youve worked with hounds, been on hunts (both drag and real) so know the difference and how it all works, you do not know what those hounds are doing in that video.
No the hunt monitors said the hounds had not long moved off before they found the fox...i posted the whole statement earlier in the thread.

"The young woman was out monitoring the Old Berks Fox Hounds last Wednesday, 14th November. The Hunt met at Elmwood House, Black Bourton in Oxfordshire. Not long after the hunt moved off , the Huntsman sent the hound pack into woodland and thick undergrowth.

Just after 11.30 am, the hounds found the fox in scrub next to large slurry tanks on the edge of a farm."

maybe you can tell me why then hounds weren't called off when they caught the fox? Because i dont think anyone can deny if that brave lady hadnt jumped in & saved it that fox would have been ripped apart, ...one of the to$$ers on horseback was even shouting at her to leave it!

x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post
No the hunt monitors said the hounds had not long moved off before they found the fox...i posted the whole statement earlier in the thread.

"The young woman was out monitoring the Old Berks Fox Hounds last Wednesday, 14th November. The Hunt met at Elmwood House, Black Bourton in Oxfordshire. Not long after the hunt moved off , the Huntsman sent the hound pack into woodland and thick undergrowth.

Just after 11.30 am, the hounds found the fox in scrub next to large slurry tanks on the edge of a farm."

maybe you can tell me why then hounds weren't called off when they caught the fox? Because i dont think anyone can deny if that brave lady hadnt jumped in & saved it that fox would have been ripped apart, ...one of the to$$ers on horseback was even shouting at her to leave it!

yes they found the fox.. they werent hunting it though, hounds speak when they hunt. a very loud distinct noise, that not one of those hounds were doing.

why the hounds werent called off? probably because all of the huntsmen still agree with hunting and wouldnt be fussy if it got caught. there are alot of people like that about.
him shouting at her to leave it was being sensible. aside from the fox could bite her (which it did) the hounds could of bitten her, especially when she had her face so close, they could of taken off after her when she decided it was a good idea to run away with a fox in her arms from a pack of hounds that are bred to chase. silly woman.
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Personally I can't see the appeal of following a pack of dogs which then tear a fox apart but equally I don't like foxes and really don't see much difference between the hounds behaviour there and what would happen if my dog were to catch any of the rabbits that she heads off after. Neither is nature as the dog is domestic but in both they are doing what comes naturally.

In years to come, as urban foxes will become ever more bold and I predict that the attacks on babies and children which have already started will become more frequent. Eventually the cute "Basil Brush" image will go and I wonder if the townies will feel quite so badly towards the hunts?

We've lost guinea pigs to foxes and friends have lost chickens, shooting the beasts is easier said than done and they can frequently make off injured to die a slow lingering death especially if shot with a 12 bore.

Foxes are vermin, like rats, this whole attitude of hunters as morons and monitors as hero's baffles me. Like I said I wouldn't want to be involved in a hunt but a fox killed by a pack of dogs is reasonably similar to a fox killed by a pack of wolves. The difference is that our ancestors hunted wolves to extinction centuries ago.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Are you suggesting people would never know what goes on if it wasnt for these "hero's?" Do me a favour!

Please start another thread.

Yes I do.

No, I think the person who obviously KNEW this was going on was in the wrong to allow it to continue while he/she filmed it! If it were me the first moment I suspected anything Id have gone to the correct authorities.
Well how would they know then? puppy farms dont exactly open their doors to the public.

so you'd go to the correct authorities with no evidence ...getting the authorities to take animal abuse seriously is hard enough With incriminating evidence nevermind just an eye witness account!...get real!

Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post
Well how would they know then? puppy farms dont exactly open their doors to the public.
Erm Maybe by the condition of the dogs that come out of them???

so you'd go to the correct authorities with no evidence ...getting the authorities to take animal abuse seriously is hard enough With incriminating evidence nevermind just an eye witness account!...get real!
No, you didnt read did you. I said the moment I suspected anything was amiss Id go to the correct authorities. That of course would begin with the people directly above those I suspected. It could at that point be acted upon immediately. I sure as hell wouldnt wait until such time I thought I had filmed enough abuse! Jees what sort of people would do that!
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
yes they found the fox.. they werent hunting it though, hounds speak when they hunt. a very loud distinct noise, that not one of those hounds were doing.

why the hounds werent called off? probably because all of the huntsmen still agree with hunting and wouldnt be fussy if it got caught. there are alot of people like that about.
him shouting at her to leave it was being sensible. aside from the fox could bite her (which it did) the hounds could of bitten her, especially when she had her face so close, they could of taken off after her when she decided it was a good idea to run away with a fox in her arms from a pack of hounds that are bred to chase. silly woman.
thank you for your take on it .

That really makes my blood boil that hunters like that think theyre above the law!...theyre nothing more than common criminals!

you know when the huntsman is blowing his horn? someone thought it was possibly a drawing call or a doubling call, do you know if its either..or neither? lol

Originally Posted by Jeltz View Post
Personally I can't see the appeal of following a pack of dogs which then tear a fox apart but equally I don't like foxes and really don't see much difference between the hounds behaviour there and what would happen if my dog were to catch any of the rabbits that she heads off after. Neither is nature as the dog is domestic but in both they are doing what comes naturally.

In years to come, as urban foxes will become ever more bold and I predict that the attacks on babies and children which have already started will become more frequent. Eventually the cute "Basil Brush" image will go and I wonder if the townies will feel quite so badly towards the hunts?

We've lost guinea pigs to foxes and friends have lost chickens, shooting the beasts is easier said than done and they can frequently make off injured to die a slow lingering death especially if shot with a 12 bore.

Foxes are vermin, like rats, this whole attitude of hunters as morons and monitors as hero's baffles me. Like I said I wouldn't want to be involved in a hunt but a fox killed by a pack of dogs is reasonably similar to a fox killed by a pack of wolves. The difference is that our ancestors hunted wolves to extinction centuries ago.
Foxes are not and never have been classed as vermin.

Demonising them is no different from people demonising certain dog breeds.

& do you seriously believe a pack of wolves would waste their energys hunting one little fox? ... Foxes & wolves dont compete for food a wolf would only kill a fox opportunistically. In Yellowstone park since wolf reintroduction, red foxes have increased in numbers because the Wolves are keeping coyote numbers in check, coyote compete with both fox & wolf for food & they regularly kill foxes, when the wolf was extirpated from many states in the USA the red fox became increasingly rare.

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Erm Maybe by the condition of the dogs that come out of them???

No, you didnt read did you. I said the moment I suspected anything was amiss Id go to the correct authorities. That of course would begin with the people directly above those I suspected. It could at that point be acted upon immediately. I sure as hell wouldnt wait until such time I thought I had filmed enough abuse! Jees what sort of people would do that!

Well im afraid video evidence is what shocks the masses into taking action, not word of mouth.

yeah i believe you

Page 6 of 21 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »