Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Thats good JB Jeager did well there.

Mine don't chase cats and people say Oh! thats cuz you have cats....nothing of the sort they would chase stray cats if they were allowed, but they know thats a no no, and because they don't chase/bark/jump at them the stray cats that come into the garden usually disappear after a little while
Training. Just like my cats are trained not to go on the counter surfaces, scratch the furniture or be too much of a pain in the rear. They also only ever bring their huting trophies home, and I can assure you to the knowledge of what I see (and it seems they only ever bring things back) they don't get any songbirds. Mice, rats, wild rabbits, wood pigeons, even magpies every now and then, and the occasional bat (now that is a bit bad of them) but no songbirds.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Best way of keeping cats out of your garden is to have your own cat .
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Ours dont either & rubbish to say its because you have cats. Our dogs had never lived with cats & where 4 & 5 years respectively when our first kitten came. They used to get worried & upset when the kittens disappeared out of sight but now accept it. Doesnt stop the dogs still on odd occasion, going to 'look' for their cats.
ours look for the kittens when they are out...I always know what tree they are in by the ''pointers''
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Training. Just like my cats are trained not to go on the counter surfaces, scratch the furniture or be too much of a pain in the rear. They also only ever bring their huting trophies home, and I can assure you to the knowledge of what I see (and it seems they only ever bring things back) they don't get any songbirds. Mice, rats, wild rabbits, wood pigeons, even magpies every now and then, and the occasional bat (now that is a bit bad of them) but no songbirds.
I have lots of ''rat'' trophies from the kittens who at 7 months have perfected the art of catching them using tag team tactic's my adult cats just don;t catch anything...apart from the sun rays
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by MarchHound View Post
Why do dog owners have to be responsible for their dogs and yet cat owners do not have to be responsible for their cats?

I would never dream of letting my dog sit on a fence to taunt another animals, foul in other peoples gardens or stalk other peoples pets (my rabbits!).

Im having to proof my garden, not to keep MY pet in (as its already sufficient for that) but to keep someone elses OUT! Its mad!

We insist dogs wear ID but theres no laws for cats. I dont see why they should be allowed to roam either....

"My cat would go nuts if you locked him in, he needs to roam" I hear people say. Ive also heard the same about dogs except they are called 'destructive' or with 'behaviour issies' because they want to be out so much.

Sorry, I just dont see it.
Yes, Id see that as totally true from your post.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:24 AM
We have two cats. They tend to stay in the garden when we let them out. They do follow the dogs when we go for walks, and come back inside with us.

As for fouling other people's gardens, ours play outside, then come in and use their litter tray.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
We have two cats. They tend to stay in the garden when we let them out. They do follow the dogs when we go for walks, and come back inside with us.

As for fouling other people's gardens, ours play outside, then come in and use their litter tray.
Same here - ours will only use litter trays
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:33 AM
It's enough picking up after two dogs....... I'd hate to do poo patrol after two cats as well
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:34 AM
See I'm a little on the fence, I do think it is a danger for them to be out, especially mine, where I live. On a main road where it's a 40 speed limit but we'll be lucky if anyone actually listens and does that. The other side of our garden is a field where it's farmers crops, then a river, then woodland. And there is a lot of hunting terriers walked there, not to mention the wildlife, Wheatley is mainly white and small so is easy prey, he's also not afraid of dogs, which would be stupid of me to let him out because of the neighbour who lives at the end of the farmer's crops has no fencing and 12 dogs that wouldn't hesitate to get him.

However, that was before he started acting like a loon, ripping my wallpaper off, running up and down stairs. Of course cats need visual and mental stimulation too.

So we let Wheatley out in the garden on nice days for an hour, we're out there too, Louie makes sure he doesn't go too far up the garden (well I reckon he just likes to chase him back down to the house ) He sits and watches the bunnies in their hutches and birds in the sky, gets to feel grass, eat grass plays catch with the midges, pounces on Louie's tail whilst he's sunbathing, sunbathes..

So whilst I don't let him wander - I let him enjoy the outside. And why shouldn't he? I think it's good middle ground, it isn't save for him to roam, but it isn't fair to keep them in. And if you're cat proofing - then you'll be doing yourself a favour
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
It's enough picking up after two dogs....... I'd hate to do poo patrol after two cats as well
We have several visiting cats or cats that cross our garden so quite often wouldve got more than dog poo. Then i struck on idea of lifting cat poo & in its place put a dog poo. Few times & cats got message
Page 2 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »