Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2005, 01:49 PM

Beginning training

I am currently starting to train my Labrador Oscar with a dummy. He will never been used for hunting or working this is purely for fun for the both of us. And will also teach him new things and give him the stimulation labs love.
So I started training yesterday, and to begin with I am hoping to teach him to retrieve the dummy correctly. Normally I would just use sticks or a ball for him to play with, and he would chase after them but he was not told to sit by my side and wait until I gave the command to retrieve. So therefore I have bought a dummy to keep play time and training separate and this way he will learn the difference between the two. Yesterday I took him out with the dummy for the first time to get him started, as he has never been told to sit before by my side before, I held his collar so he would not run after the dummy when I threw it, he got up quite a few times to run after but by the end of the section he has learnt not to get up until I said 'go get' and pointed my arm to the dummy, which I thought was a good sign, and also he picked the dummy and brought it back to me a few times but not all the time, but this can be worked on.
I am hoping that other people will be able to give me advice as I go along training him, and I will update this section to let you know how he is getting on with pics and videos, which people can then see where we are going wrong and hopefully steer me in the right direction. So kind of like a dairy of Oscars progress, where hopefully some of you will give me some advice on But I also thought it would be a good thread as even if you don’t have a gundog, this type of training can be learnt by any dog, so even if your trying to get your dog to retrieve a ball etc feel free to join in and offer advice.
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Keep it fun for him, when he's done it good once praise him loads and leave that and do something else. Work of the waiting in the house aswel just throw your dummy across the room or garden making him wait and let him know its a good wait. Hope this helps. I've taught Ollie to find anything i throw out of long grass his nose is brilliant. I used the word findit when he cant see it and fetch it for when its in sight.
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply yes i will keep it fun for him and im only doing small sections at a time so he does not become borred as at the moment he is eager to get out there and loves his dummy so it would be a shame to ruin this. Yes i have been praising him when he gets things correct and ignoring when he does something wrong and start again, when i make him wait until i give the command to fetch it its only for about 20sec not long so that he gets use to collecting the dummy, but i will vary the time so he does not get use to a set time. The only thing i thought maybe a prob with using the dummy in the house is that firstly i will be using the dummy too much and therefore he will get borred of it secondly he might see the dummy as a toy which i dont want? but im new to this so dont know?
Yes i want to go ont search as well but not until he has learnt the retreive correctly
Thanks for your help and yes you have been a good help, im gratefull for any advice
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Its nice to know people are actually doing things to keep their dogs happy, i hate to see bored house pets. I cant wait to see some more pics of him. I use my training dumbell in the house but its not left around as a play toy i guess they know the difference. Hope all goes well with his training im off for a bit to go find some food before i starve to death.
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Hey yes im the same as you, why not train him to do something he loves, hes clever and eager enough I will post pics and videos after a few more goes, when i can throw the dummie and hold the camera at the same time , but at the moment he needs my 100% concentration to get him of on a good start, but you will soon be asking me to stop posting pics
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

29-07-2005, 03:57 PM
I do this with my dogs they are getting so good at it now - Barney is brilliant at it - Jack tries his best

I throw the dumbbell and have them wait in a sit or a down, they wait for my command which is go find and they bring it back to me put it in front of my feet and Barney comes and sits at my side ( jack hasn't learnt that bit yet!)

My dogs love it so much especially when I hide the toy in really long grass
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Hi Emm well hopefully oscar will get like that if i keep at it which i will

Ok i know i said i wouldnt post any pics yet but i have just taken him out with his dummy and my camera and gave it ago taking a couple of pics of oscar in action. It wasnt as hard as i thought it would be actually taking pics and throwing the dummy at the same time so here goes, please let me know what you think any advice would be brill!

Just after picking the dummy up-
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...ingday2020.jpg

Running back to me with the dummy see how happy he is
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...ingday2019.jpg
Zoomed in pic
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...ingday2021.jpg
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2005, 05:10 PM
aw the pics are fab! And good on you for training him up to do something! I'll definitely be doing as much as possible with my dally. They're very intelligent dogs (although I think most are!) and get bored so easily. I'll try all sorts with mine!

Good luck hope it all continues in the same direction!

Lottie
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Great pics Nat and good luck
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Hi Nat :smt039

Oscar is gorg but you know that
You have allready been given great advice, so wont add to that.

Just a small tip, in a while, youŽll want him to bring the dummy to you, sit in front of you keep it in his mouth nicely till you ask for it
Not as tough as it sounds and I know atleast J and prob lots of others can tell you he will learn that soon too

Just advicing you to go on your knees when he comes home with the dummy, pat your chest to make aim for that or atleast spread out your arms so heŽll almost run in your face ( ) and gently get a hold of the dummy while saying thank you.
Later you can then slowly get him to sit in front of you and hold on til you ask him to let go of it
(Imagestation is playing up right now so will post a pic later and show you ok?)

Btw: is the pics taken from diff retrievers? Or is he playing with the dummy comming home?
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »