Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Hmmm, considering his genetics are mainly retriever based then i'm surprised he doesnt have much enthusiasm. He just probably thinks it's a bit of a chore and if you want it, go fetch the darn thing yourself! As you've noticed, Flynn cannot contain himself where retrieving is concerned and it's just as difficult trying to manage over enthusiasm as it is under enthusiasm!

What about taking him out with another dog who will fetch things but not letting Louie have a go? Or have a game with the dummy yourself, making it look like you're having a really good time but only allowing Louie to watch? Just thinking of ways to build his frustration which might build up his motivation.

What exactly are you having problems with? Is it retrieving to hand? What about throwing the dummy on the floor and when he picks it up having a run round engaging him to chase you with it in his mouth (not the other way round) and then try and take the dummy from him?

We'll have to have another session so we can try and come up with something that works for Louie.
Thanks Leanne - If I throw it on the floor - he looks at it and then looks at me as if to say "you dropped it" I've tried him with all sorts of toys to try it.

He does much better if he sees Sadie playing with me (but she's gone home now) and she's too hard mouthed to play with the dummies, I'm thinking of getting a puppy dummy and trying him with something smaller.

I can't do this weekend - neither can you if I remember and the Sunday after I'll be going to Catterick to see Adie off - bit of a pain really.

I'll bring my stuff with me tonight if you're training tonight and show you what I mean - although he'll probably prove me wrong and be a little t*at like he was last week!

Give me an over enthusiastic dog any day - I can work with that, better than the morbid look I get off him
I do try winding him up by saying "Leanne's coming, do some training" he runs straight to the front door and then nudges my bag with all the stuff in - so he knows you and he knows what training I mean LOL... then I take him out and we do some touches and what not but I can't get him to hold longer than 5 seconds - not even that and he won't pick it back up after he's dropped it - he sits with it at my feet and waits for me to click and treat him for bringing it to me.

Why did I decide I wanted to train him to be as good as other gundogs???

Oh Rob Dawes got in touch with me and said that I was probably doing too much advanced work for his age...
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 03:41 PM
I was going to ask you about Rob Dawes cos I caught a glimpse of his name as I scrolled up. Did he say anything else about lessons or anything?

I'm taking Flynn to class tonight before Jed's class (we'll be in the one you watch/join in with) because he needs some serious work on heelwork, leaving things and just generally being around other dogs without reacting to them.

So, he'll pick a dummy up, drop it at your feet and then wont pick it up again? Have you asked to do retrieves in Denise's class? She'll be able to give you some advice.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 03:53 PM
I was going to ask you about Rob Dawes cos I caught a glimpse of his name as I scrolled up. Did he say anything else about lessons or anything?

I'm taking Flynn to class tonight before Jed's class (we'll be in the one you watch/join in with) because he needs some serious work on heelwork, leaving things and just generally being around other dogs without reacting to them.

So, he'll pick a dummy up, drop it at your feet and then wont pick it up again? Have you asked to do retrieves in Denise's class? She'll be able to give you some advice.
I'm going to ask her about it tonight and also bring in the Lana Mitchell book - I think it's good but there are some things I don't quite understand - I even went back to exam style learning...writing it out and bullet pointing it - I need help before I bring out the flash cards!!!

Urm - I'll copy and paste what he said:

Hello Aimee,
Thank you for your enquiry about help& advice you need on gundog training. I would be pleased to help you out, in any way i can.
With the sounds of things,you may be going a bit too fast and advanced, for the age of the dog.You may have missed some of the most important basics out, eg steadiness and close control. It will also be of great help to get your dog on the Stop Whistle.
I am not a harsh type of trainer, firm but fair is my approach,and there is always a way to overcome problems in most dogs by being patient and creative.
I use several methods to get results,in any aspects of training, to suit any dog and their owners requirements. Just because you have a cross-breed, it doesn"t mean that you can"t get the full potential out of your dog.
I will look forward to hearing from you. You may contact me if need be on my mobile 07890 744157.
All the best, regards Robert Daws.
I've left his mobile on there for if you want to contact him.
I basically sent him a long winded email about all my problems!

I said that things are a bit hectic at the moment and that in a few weeks time when I'm sorted I would contact him about going out and showing him what Louie can do and getting pointers on stuff that needs work on.

All you have been fab with helping me though, but as you said yourself, advice and books are good but unless you have someone to show you it's pretty useless.. Although I still think you're a star and your the only person who has really helped and that Louie really likes (no body else gets mugged with cuddles )
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 04:04 PM
I use Peter Everitt-Stewart now because he is experienced with pointing breeds and I specifically wanted somebody knowledgable about HPR's but didnt even know this Robert Daws guy existed. He never came up in any of my Google searches!

You're too kind Aimee, i've done naff all in reality! I keep meaning to print off a really useful clicker guide I came across on another forum. Will try and print it off to bring tonight but I really need to get my backside off this pc and get ready for training.

"Give me an over enthusiastic dog any day - I can work with that"
I'll sit back and rest tonight, let you deal with Flynn, lol!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 04:06 PM
I use Peter Everitt-Stewart now because he is experienced with pointing breeds and I specifically wanted somebody knowledgable about HPR's but didnt even know this Robert Daws guy existed. He never came up in any of my Google searches!

You're too kind Aimee, i've done naff all in reality! I keep meaning to print off a really useful clicker guide I came across on another forum. Will try and print it off to bring tonight but I really need to get my backside off this pc and get ready for training.

"Give me an over enthusiastic dog any day - I can work with that"
I'll sit back and rest tonight, let you deal with Flynn, lol!
That's fine - I'll take Flynn, you take Screwball - I mean Louie
Page 10 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10