Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 09:34 PM

Getting a second dog (in the future)

..I have no intention of getting another dog for at least 2-3 years yet - this was just me having a think as I have just found out my cousins are getting a beagle puppy next week! (they live miles away though so won't be able to see it until like christmas time )

Soo.... I have heard that if you get a second dog you are to get one that is like lower energy levels than the 1st...

Problem being... the dog I have at the moment is lazy... to be frank.. he has his energy bursts and loves to play with other dogs etc, but in the house he just sleeps and potters about mostly lol

...if I got a dog that was lower energy wise than him... it would be asleep 100% of the time

So basically, is that a "rule" or would I be able to get a higher energy dog?
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Think you'll probably find that it's more of a problem if you have a fairly high octane dog and then get another that's also full on, they wind each other up and can cause double the trouble!!
kcggnbambi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2010, 11:44 AM
I have always thought it was the opposite?

I heard a celeb vet saying that getting a pup or a younger dog with lots of energy when yours is sort of, middle aged, gives them a new lease of life and can keep them fitter into later life. I got my second dog and I think it's totally true!

Where we are you aren't allowed more than 2 dogs, I'd have more if I could. It's so nice for them to have a companion when your are away from them at work and the like. Having two dogs to me seems so much easier than having one!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 12:02 PM
I don't think there's a blanket rule. Your dog may like a docile dog that won't pester it, or it may get a new lease of life as suggested and go through a second puppihood with the addition of another dog.
Your best bet is to approach a rescue who will match up a dog to suit your dog and your situation Lots of rescues allow a 'foster with a view to home' situation or a trial adoption for a couple of weeks to see how things go.
I'd planned to go for an older, calmer male to keep Kiki company but I ended up with a dog approximately the same age and very playful - worked out perfectly as they tire each other out with all their playing!
Cutiepants26
New Member!
Female 

01-11-2010, 12:29 PM
I have never heard such a thing...... it's a myth. If you get a dog it doesn't need to be less active from the first but I'd say if your now right now isn't very active don't get a puppy or dog that will just bounce around and want to play because your other dog will get annoyed. But just get a dog with about the same energy levels, it doesn't matter if they are a little more or less active. But just not too lazy or too active/bouncy.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Never heard that one before.... all mine are different energy levels, the third, the Pointer is the most energetic, the laziest is the first, Jamie... my highly energetic English setter sofa king!!
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 02:57 PM
I do understand this as i have seen how my 2 react to the different energy levels of the fosters that pass through our home,My 2 beagles are up for long walks will potter around the house and have the occasional play now,but love to sleep too (They are both nearly 7 year old male beagles) When a new dog comes in if it's really bouncy ,one of mine will join in for a bit but then gets fed up and grumbly if they won't leave him be and the other just takes himself off to size them up. the dogs that have fitted straight in like they had grown up together have been a similar energy level.So whilst you can probably make most dog pairings work, it could take a lot more work on your behalf if the new ones got a lot more energy,because for the sanity of your older dog you will need to step in and keep the younger one away from him to give him space Although you will be doing this anyway with training ,I would start seeing what he's like now and work out what's best for him preferably in your home enviroment, because what they are like out walking with other dogs can be very different to how they react to a dog in their home.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by kcggnbambi View Post
I have always thought it was the opposite?

I heard a celeb vet saying that getting a pup or a younger dog with lots of energy when yours is sort of, middle aged, gives them a new lease of life and can keep them fitter into later life. I got my second dog and I think it's totally true!

Where we are you aren't allowed more than 2 dogs, I'd have more if I could. It's so nice for them to have a companion when your are away from them at work and the like. Having two dogs to me seems so much easier than having one!
Before we got Louie, Sadie was slowing down a little (she is 9 and we think she's going deaf) but since we've had him, she plays more, she keeps him grounded too - thats a good think with a puppy and she's even started to enjoy clicker training, before she was all like this is boring see you later - now it's like a competion, she has to be the best (even though we train them seperately) and she's always been fond of the ball but since Louie arrived she's seen him as competition and it really gets her stretching her muscles.

If you're rescuing they normally allow you to brign your dog along in some places so I reckon your dog will choose which energy level he prefers
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks everyone!
Just to clear something up... my "quiet dog" is only 7 months old! Haha - he just likes his sleep... a lot...

He does still have puppy energy, but I can tell that it won't be long before he really starts to get lazy

He never refuses a walk, and is always energetic then, but he is so calm the rest of the time lol

Thanks for all the replies!
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Ah that may make a difference you would probably find he'd join in with all the play and then sleep! We got our first in feb and then the other in october so not much age gap lets say they played and scrapped a lot !!! but best of buddies now.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >