Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Fab Hannah

Siren looks in her element. Brilliant to see

Looking forward to hearing about her progress........and yours!

Take good care.

Seoniad.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
poo is a big distraction, we train agility in a horse barn and Ben used to stop for a snack - not now tho

Sounds like you did great - and even better we get to hear about it from both sides

Dont I just know about the dogs bringing sheep to you!!
My friends got a farm bred collie (and I nearly got his sister) and at about 8 months we were back at the farm
The farmer gave us the litter sister to walk at the same time (they ended up keeping her a few months down the line as she didnt work out)
The farmer said it was cool to have the dogs off the lead as we walked

So cutting thru a field of his sheep the dogs streaked off, lovely anticlockwise outrun
Next thing we knew their was a full herd being driven full speed twards us!! ScaryWe yelled the dogs to down and the sheep scattered then we got the dogs back onlead
The farmer was amazed that the pup showed any interest and took her right back into the field - but without her brother she wasnt interested

But I know its totaly scary having them pelting at you with two happy collies behind
Flock Scary???!! I can't understand people being scared of sheep!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Sheep are lots of things, but not scary
lol so true, a bit oopid maybe but never scary.

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Flock Scary???!! I can't understand people being scared of sheep!
that said I often keep a keen eye on one of the tups at the farm with a less than sweet attitude, hes a big fellar though.
borderstorm
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Sheep ARE scary to a newbie who's equally inexperienced dog often gets out of control and pushes them on to them suddenly as it dives in. But as soon as they learn to take control and get a feel for the job (dancing with sheep I call it) they soon get over that. That's why I start all my newcommers off in the round pen with the dog on the outside to get an idea how hard a dog is likely to be on its sheep. If it tears around the pen like a maniac hard up against the sheep netting then for sure it will dive in when introduced to sheep. But when it runs around the pen giving width to the pen itself (as Siren did) then you know you can introduce it to sheep with confidence. If you allow a dog to dive in after then you are not doing your job correctly unless you purposely teach it to come in...which is another matter altogether!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 12:24 PM
opps yup flock not herd

i aint scared of sheep in general but when you basically have two dogs joyriding sheep right at you when you are out for a walk, neither dog is trained, and they dont belong to you so you have no control over the situation
thats scary

love the dances with sheep, i can see how great it would be when you, the dog and sheep are in harmony each responding to the movements of the other
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
lol so true, a bit oopid maybe but never scary.

that said I often keep a keen eye on one of the tups at the farm with a less than sweet attitude, hes a big fellar though.
I do know what you mean but our tups actually look more fierce than they actually are (unless you are a bolshy collie pup! )

Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by borderstorm View Post
Sheep ARE scary to a newbie who's equally inexperienced dog often gets out of control and pushes them on to them suddenly as it dives in. But as soon as they learn to take control and get a feel for the job (dancing with sheep I call it) they soon get over that. That's why I start all my newcommers off in the round pen with the dog on the outside to get an idea how hard a dog is likely to be on its sheep. If it tears around the pen like a maniac hard up against the sheep netting then for sure it will dive in when introduced to sheep. But when it runs around the pen giving width to the pen itself (as Siren did) then you know you can introduce it to sheep with confidence. If you allow a dog to dive in after then you are not doing your job correctly unless you purposely teach it to come in...which is another matter altogether!
That is how I started off My mentor was Thomas Longton, I am sure you will know him
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
opps yup flock not herd

i aint scared of sheep in general but when you basically have two dogs joyriding sheep right at you when you are out for a walk, neither dog is trained, and they dont belong to you so you have no control over the situation
thats scary

love the dances with sheep, i can see how great it would be when you, the dog and sheep are in harmony each responding to the movements of the other
Yes, in those circumstances I would be terrified of my dog being shot

All this talk of round pens and starting off is bringing back lots of memories of when I first found the joy of training a collie on sheep I have just had a look at some photos.

Here was my young Moss (about 6 months old) having one of his first lessons

Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 04:06 PM
And Flame learning that sheep are nothing to do with her

(Sorry for hijacking your thread Hannah. I will shut up now!)

borderstorm
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Yes I know Thomas. Got to speak to him at length at Crufts when we both had book launches.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >