View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2010, 05:54 AM

A knot on my pup's shoulder after vaccines?!

She got her shots about 2 weeks ago and i have noticed a knot where she got the shots at! Is that normal will it go away?! Is it something to be concerned about?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 07:52 AM
It is more than likely down to a reaction at the injection site.
Shady has one on her neck where the vet was administring daily antibiotic injections to her 3 weeks ago so he couldn't get the needle in there to sedate her Wednesday.
It should eventually subside but may take a while.
fluffybland
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2010, 08:10 AM
it is apparently not unusual to have a reaction at injection site, one of my boys developed a lump at injection site, it didnt appear straight away, but it did become large and hard. It took some weeks to subside, but didnt bother the boy in the least.
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2010, 05:53 PM
thank u , youve eased my mind ...so it should go away?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Yes but it may take some time.
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2010, 06:05 PM
thank you
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 09:04 PM
The trouble with these vaccines and the site they are always placed, is that they CAN cause problems later on, because the vaccine sits on that site for about 12 days (I think, could be a week!) and you are supposed to rub it immediately, or the vet should, to try and disperse it. I've read all about this of late when I was doing my vaccine research, and I found out during that research that it's a well known fact that sarcoma's at the site of vaccination are very common, or should I say quite common maybe?!

My previous gsd bitch, shortly after an annual booster, suddenly developed a massive lump, the size of a tennis ball in that spot, and I rushed her to the vet, he drained it and said he didn't know what it was and nothing nasty came out of it. Many years later, when the lump had always remained a flat, knotty type lump, got bigger and bigger, and now I know why!

Some people who are aware of this vaccination site problem, always insist that the annual booster or any first jabs, go in one of the hind legs for this very reason, and I might just do that when the time comes with my latest bitch.

Quite honestly, I don't know whether it would be advisable for you to rub the area now or not, it might be too late, but at the very least, I suggest you do a Google and read up on what I've said above about this being a very common problem, and you might be able to find out whether it's a good thing to try and disperse that vaccine now or just leave it alone, I really couldn't say, sorry.

Good luck anyway, and as it's the first jab, I strongly suggest that you mention it to the vet for next time and see what they say about jabbing your puppy in the hind leg instead of that site which is constantly being used for injections, but the worst one is the vaccine one coz of the length of time it stays in that spot, so I've learned!
sandrine75
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
The trouble with these vaccines and the site they are always placed, is that they CAN cause problems later on, because the vaccine sits on that site for about 12 days (I think, could be a week!) and you are supposed to rub it immediately, or the vet should, to try and disperse it. !
When I went for the first jab, the vet did the rub thing after the injection. When we went for the second injection we had a different vet and she didn't so I told her that I thought she was supposed to do the rubbing thing, she gave me a dirty look and did it.
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2010, 05:22 AM
i rubbed it afterwards! shes goes back to the vet march 11th and ill suggest the hind leg thank u and i will google it