View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-07-2008, 12:33 PM
It's true. I work in rescue. It's high in the top 5, definitely.
Hali identifies a reason quite well.
Also some people just cannot be bothered coping with the extra work a baby and child entail, ie, no planning and preparation during pregnancy and no managament and planning when baby arrives.
Also severe lack of common sense and intelligence sometimes.
More often it's when the baby starts crawling around 9 months old that dogs are got rid of, compared to newborns.
That's because the baby is hand held.
Owner then concludes dog is good around baby, when they can't actually know this as dog hasnt met the living breathing squeeling crawling strange object yet (remember, no planning and socialization).
Later, due to this bad judgement, they just let baby crawl near, around, and on dog because "we already know he likes my baby". And often leave both unattended.
Most dogs don't growl for a few weeks or months, but owner has no idea about calming signals or notices that dog always leaves room (or if they do, it doesn't mean anything to them).
Inevitably, as all other communications have failed, dog growls or snaps.
Irrational side of maternal instinct kicks in, mum freaks, imagining dog murdering baby any minute, and I get a phone call about "aggression completely out of the blue and without provocation"
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm sure its high on the list, sometimes think the dog was a baby substitute & goes when the real thing comes along, but certainly when I used to work for GSD rescue the first reason was a split between the partners & nowhere to live with the dog.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I think all the reasons are probably excuses, masking the true reason that they are fed up with the dog for what ever reason
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I saw an article on Breakfast TV in the spring about the increase in dogs (particularly pedigrees) being brought to rescue. The RSPCA said more and more people were blaming the credit crunch and rising costs, saying that they could no longer afford to keep their dog.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
I saw an article on Breakfast TV in the spring about the increase in dogs (particularly pedigrees) being brought to rescue. The RSPCA said more and more people were blaming the credit crunch and rising costs, saying that they could no longer afford to keep their dog.
The credit crunch is having a bad effect on peoples lives though as is the problem with mortages. More and more homes are getting reposessed and most rented places wont take dogs.

I feel for people in these situations because if you can no longer provide a roof over your head its no place for a dog . . .
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Yes i do suspect there will be a HUGE increase in rescue cases because of the credit crunch. The significant rise in basic living costs on top of mortgages really is affecting people's ability to afford things they could have easily covered in the past. I also worry that to make a quick buck it might encourage more unscrupulous breeders.

As far as the baby question goes i do agree with all the reasons given - especially that it can often be an excuse. And yes, i do think that we live in a disposable consumer society so people just move from one thing to another without much thought for a long term plan. How many people buy dogs as cute puppies without really looking at the fact that that dog will be there for another 15 years with all the highs and lows that go with it?

It may also be about education - obviously there are going to be some cases where dogs really do have problems adjusting to a baby in the house but there is so much that can be done to prevent it if people only knew how and were willing to put in the effort.

It also now crosses my mind whether the tabloid hysteria abou "dangerous dogs" helps. I know we have all seen horriffic stories (with seemingly increasing frequency) in the papers about babies and toddlers being savaged by household pets. Now don't get me wrong, in the vast majority of those cases i think the parents have been grossly irresponsible etc BUT i wonder if these stories are influencing people, especially those with less dog experience, that no dog can be trusted around a small child.

Just a thought.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
I'm sure its high on the list, sometimes think the dog was a baby substitute & goes when the real thing comes along, but certainly when I used to work for GSD rescue the first reason was a split between the partners & nowhere to live with the dog.
Sadly these "reasons"along with "we are emigrating tomorrow/next week" !!!! are still the usual reasons for getting rid of GSDs.

We did have a very tearful call from a youngish chap's uncle, the nephew was terminally ill & wanted to make arrangements for his beloved dogs before he became too ill & to have peace of mind that his dogs would be safe & rehomed. For once a genuine request for help.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 02:32 PM
I agree with people not planning ahead enough when they get a puppy/dog. I know of people who have rehomed after baby comes along - to private homes where they have kept in touch. And have to say dog is usually better off as a lot of people have a baby then just simply cant juggle it all, dog ends up pushed to one side and not exercised or given much attention.

This, however is not the case with everyone I know that.
I got my two dogs after having my children, but my youngest was only 2.
I dragged him around the woods, through the mud in a pushchair you should have seen the looks I got, but at least he got some fresh air, better than sitting infront of TV!

But I would not have been able to have them when babies were first born - me personally not everyone - that is why we had kids in gap of dogs!!
My Hubby works shifts and if I had a dog then I knew it would have suffered from lack of attention/affection and walks.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Sadly I actually KNOW this to be true, because the young girl I had as a cleaner a short while ago brought her gorgeous 8 yr. old cocker spaniel round one day to play with Georgie whilst she cleaned. They got on so well together, I told her if EVER she thought of rehoming him (not that she'd said anything, I just wanted her to let me have him, coz he was gorgeous!) I even posted some pics up on here of the two of them together. Anyway, she would have none of it, although she was thinking of rehoming the jack russell she had recently bought because now that her baby was crawling, the pair of them were getting in his face too much, and they were becoming very annoying to her little boy I tried to convince her, that if I had the 8 yr. old cocker spaniel, then she would only have the one dog to cope with, with the baby, but I still got a no, she could NEVER part with him coz she had had him for 8 years, so the little 9 month old jr went in the local free ads to find him a new home!

She stopped coming for a while, and I happened to phone her the other week, and she told me not only had she sold the jack russell "to a lovely lady up the road", but she had also got rid of the 8yr. old cocker spaniel that she could NEVER part with!!!!! I couldn't believe this, as you can well imagine, coz she knew I would have taken him in an instant, but she said her brother had taken him on, so that way, he was out of the way of the baby (her words!)but she could still see him if she wanted!!! For how long I wonder? Maybe he might just sell him on if circumstances change for him?!

I despair!!!!!

Had a friend of mine round for lunch today, she's a dog sitter/walker, has been for 10 years, and she is amazed at how many people she knows are sending their dogs and cats off to the local rescue because of the credit crunch, they just can't afford to keep/feed them anymore, and like me, she said how on EARTH can people give their animals away like this??? It beggers belief to me, my animals have always been part of our family and would never be given away!

Our small local rescue has put up a notice in our village papershop, saying they cannot take ANY more animals due to a massive recent increase and are struggling to cover their vet's fees, and until they're paid, they cannot take any more, they're full to bursting point. It's not looking good for our furry friends out there is it
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-07-2008, 03:05 PM
It's not always east to tell if the reason people give for rehoming their dog is the actual reason! Having said that though, having a baby is quite high on the reasons we get given for rehoming. Well out ahead, however, is relationship break-up!

Mick
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »