Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Unfortunately there is no chance of finding the right home through a rescue now it has bitten.

rune
I'm afraid what Rune has said here, and a few other people have said, the chances of him being rehomed through a rescue are VERY slim. Any decent rescue and even breed specific rescues will not touch him. I do some work for an Akita rescue and there is no way they will help rehome a dog that has ANY (human) bite history. I have seen people foster such dogs and try everything but the outcome has always been a bad one for the dog and has ended up being pts.

On the other hand, if the dog is rehomed privately and strikes again, then this will be on your conscience

It is an awful situation. As much as we all love dogs on here we I'm sure we would all agree that the main thing here is your little boy, this dog shouldn't be in your home alongside your little boy.

Poor, poor dog. He has had been thrown around over the past year or so, he probably hasn't built any trust in anyone. I am so sorry that this has happened to you, after you took him on and cared for him so responsibly too... What an awful decision.

Please seek advice from a reputable vet
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Again, I will reiterate, please try all the Doberman breed rescue societies before having your dog destroyed.

I volunteer for GSD Rescue, and we have had dogs that have bitten in for rehoming and have found them suitable homes with experienced owners and no children.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2010, 06:56 PM
I agree Milan my black Dobermann came as a direct rehome from her previous home but via Dobermann rehoming association, she had a catalogue of issues including biting. I knew all her issues and it didn't put me off and I'm not the only one willing to take on dogs with issues, lots of others will too, either short term fostering and training or long term. Either way the dog gets the help it needs.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Try this rescue:

http://www.largebreeddogrescue.com/

xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
While I have every sympathy for the child my main concern is for the poor dog. I realise just how scary it is to discover your dog has turned on your child but seriously if a Dobermann carried out a sustained attack on anyone you wouldn't be talking about a graze and swelling that's for sure. I suspect he's caught the child with a tooth and then what appeared to be the attack carrying on was most likely a telling off. I wish I was local to help out short term but I already have 5 dogs and another at the moment is impossible. Contact all the Dobermann rehomers they will try their best to help. This dog seriously needs someone who understands Dobermanns.
Have to agree with Shirley on this one.

I'm having real trouble believing that there is no hope for this poor dog.

People like Patch and Lizzy would sort the problem out, rather than euthanise.

DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 07:22 PM
I must admitt i was quite shocked and upset to read so many members say that the only option was to put the dog down..This such a personal choice i know but of course there is hope for the dog with time and care, plus no one knows why the dog snapped and that to me shows this isnt just an evil attack because lets face it if it was the kiddie wouldnt have walked away with just a scratch to the face.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I really feel sorry for you, what a distressing thing to happen - but I do hope that the dog can be found a home where perhaps there are no small children and it can be settled with the care and love that is needed.

It is incredibly hard to give a dog all the time and attention that might be needed when you are worried to death that there may be another episode such as just happened. Don't give up, there will be a solution out there somewhere that doesn't automatically mean the end of the poor dog.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 07:33 PM
in this situation i wouldn't have a problem taking this dog in, if it was a springer, we have had dogs like this before and succesfully rehomed them to homes with no children, like i said i have a dog that hates kids with a passion, but i wouldn't PTS we just manage the situation, and no she's not walked in secluded places and yes kids come to my home on a regular basis to visit fosters, i also find it amazing that people are so quick to go down the PTS route, the op said

"Its not a really bad bite or anything" and this dog has shown no aggression to anyone else, no i wouldn't want him in a home with kids, but then i would never have allowed him to go with kids in the first place
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 07:37 PM
When I first read the post, my feeling was that the outlook was very bleak for this doggie.

But there are a lot of positive vibes on here? Lets hope somebody might come forward on this forum to help the dog for real?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 08:30 PM
I can't get the picture of him in the garden, wagging his tail, waiting to come in out of my head.....
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 47 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »