register for free

Dog News

Cyclist injured by 'out of control' dog awarded £65k

...has received 20 comments (page 2)
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-12-2015, 04:49 PM
Haha, I'm sure not all do (I know some nice people who cycle) - I just wondered whether there was any (good) reason for it :/ Aren't you curious?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2015, 04:55 PM
The reason being stupidity, the highway code says no more than two abreast doesn't it?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-12-2015, 04:58 PM
I know there are some nice cyclists, meet a lot of them doing the offroad stuff and they have manners mostly, there's always the odd one isn't there though. Same with extending/flexi leads, there will be sensible people using them in the way they are supposed to be used, I have never met them, but they must be out there!
sags
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2015, 05:10 PM
I understood it to mean the cyclist (in training) was cycling along the promenade. Which to me ..is for pedestrians.

I'm on the dog walkers side on this. Yes .. her dog ran out but only because he himself said he rang his bell to warn people to get out of the way and it was that which startled the dog. Surely he is the one who should have moved aside?

I did notice too that he only managed to track the dog walker down because his 'good friend' ... happened to work for one of these injury compensation lawyers.

As a pedestrian I've more than once had a cyclist nearly ram up my derriere because I've been a wee bit slow to skip out of their way. Mind you .. they got a stream of colourful language back.
Perhaps it's time cyclists were fully insured and then he could have claimed personal injury off that rather than go moneygrabbing off a poor old lady walking a dog.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2015, 05:15 PM
You're correct Sags except apparently there are signs everywhere saying it's mixed use. You wouldn't expect the cyclist on a mixed use path to be hurtling along though.
sags
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2015, 05:24 PM
That was what gave me pause for thought ... the extent of his injuries.

I believe the poor lady settled out of court too.
There was time .. in saner days ... when most folk just put an accident like that down to .. just an accident.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-12-2015, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by sags View Post
There was time .. in saner days ... when most folk just put an accident like that down to .. just an accident.
Yes, the personal injury lawyers are responsible for society becomming a much nastier place. As I say to people we are living in 2015 not 1915
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2015, 04:35 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
While talking about cyclists - one thing I don't get, is when there is a group of them, why do they cycle side-by-side meaning that cars can't overtake them easily causing huge tailbacks :/

I keep meaning to pull over one day to ask why they do it - just trying to understand because it appears to me (as a driver) that it is very inconsiderate.
According to my OH, cyclists believe that if the car passing them has had to do the whole MSM routine to pass, the car is less likely to go past at high speed and force them into the ditch, and more likely to pull out and leave them enough room.
Having been passed by a fast lorry leaving about a 3 inch gap, I can see their point.
OTOH, they should be polite enough to pull into a layby if a big tailback has formed. Swings and roundabouts I guess.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-12-2015, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Seacrow View Post
According to my OH, cyclists believe that if the car passing them has had to do the whole MSM routine to pass, the car is less likely to go past at high speed and force them into the ditch, and more likely to pull out and leave them enough room.
Having been passed by a fast lorry leaving about a 3 inch gap, I can see their point.
OTOH, they should be polite enough to pull into a layby if a big tailback has formed. Swings and roundabouts I guess.
Thanks for the explanation

I've never thought about it like that an I'm not sure it is doing them any favours tbh - I am one of those people who is very careful around bikes, but even I can't help but get frustrated when there are tailbacks because two cyclists are side-by-side... I dread to think what others who are not so considerate feel

Personally I think we need to do more to create proper cycle lanes and even cycle paths away from roads - I would definitely use a cycle if we didn't have to share space with cars (I just wouldn't risk it otherwise).
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
While talking about cyclists - one thing I don't get, is when there is a group of them, why do they cycle side-by-side meaning that cars can't overtake them easily causing huge tailbacks :/

I keep meaning to pull over one day to ask why they do it - just trying to understand because it appears to me (as a driver) that it is very inconsiderate.
They tend to do that here Azz, on the Ring of kerry road which is full of bends and narrow. Bad enough when there is just one, waggling from side to side as they struggle uphill. But two side by side.... arrrgghhh!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top