Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2004, 12:40 AM

doggy smells

Just wondered what everyone uses in the house to keep doggy smells away ?
I am always paranoid about smells - and even more so now that the house is on the market
so would appreciate any advice as to what you use for that "o so fresh" smell
liberty
Dogsey Senior

26-08-2004, 12:43 AM
I know the feeling Lel tried most things....air fresheners..oil burners..open windows....and the best thing is use all of the above, and use Febreeze on dog beds and curtains etc.

libs
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2004, 01:13 AM
we have loads of pot pourri round the house
and like libs said febreeze works wonders

when we were selling our house we brought lots of nice smelling flowers and put them on windowsills
not only did they look nice they also helped with that "doggie smell"
Tessa
Dogsey Junior

26-08-2004, 08:19 AM
I know exactly what you mean having five dogs and two of them being oldies. My cavs continually roll in fox poo and although they always have to have a bath the smell does linger so I use the following:

Lavender all the time dotted here and there
Essential oils on a burner
pot pourri
those plug in thingies

I'm an avid gardener and grow a lot of herbs so when I hang them to dry in the kitchen they give off a lovely aroma in fact better than the above except the lavender. I have bunches hanging in the kitchen all the time. Kept out of direct sunlight the smell does last longer.

If all else fails an old fashioned peg and a bottle of wine and then who cares

Tessa
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2004, 08:25 AM
I use the little sachetts called Drop-in-vac it keeps everything smelling nice when u put the cleaner (hoover) round. I also use carpet freshner twice a week and if I know I'm having visitors I will put an oil burner on with lavender oil
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

26-08-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by Tessa

If all else fails an old fashioned peg and a bottle of wine and then who cares

Tessa
lol!

I think carpets are the culprits! I'd get them wet/professionally cleaned and then vacum often, wooden floors are more hygenic all round as dust mites have nowhere to live!

Also lots of baths! I use Johnsons deoderising shampoo on Rocky and you can actually smell it when you give him a cuddle (its in a green bottle)

also wipe em down when they get wet with the rain

lol look at me sounding like a pro! (i aint so none of the above may not really work!!))
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2004, 08:41 AM
I avoid wooden floors. My mum has it in her house and my dogs are forever slipping and sliding on it.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Well I dont mind dog smells too much as its part of benig a dog owner . I believe that as long as the dog is kept clean (not bathing all the time though) and the house is cleaned there shouldnt be any smells.

I know for a fact my place doesnt smell one bit as people who come in often comment that they cant believe we have dogs. We are lucky though to have wooden floors throughout with tiles in the kitchen and bathroom and a leather suite I think this helps as I found before in my last house (only had Kip) that carpets tended to hold dog smells a little more. I dont like air freshners and am cagy about using them around the house incase the dogs react as Cassy has very sensitive skin.

Its the moulting I am trying to keep on top of at the moment what with a white and a brindle dog doesnt matter what colour clothes I wear I am constantly brushing hairs off but again its just one of the joys of owning a dog.

Oh while I remember the worst type of smell EVER is when they roll in foxes poo or dead animals That is bad.

Laura
Ozzy_AmericanBulldog
Dogsey Junior

26-08-2004, 10:04 AM

Hi,

i use the plug-in air freshners the ones with the little fans in (can't remember who they are made by ) they are fantastic, you can turn them up or down depending on how strong you want the smell.
I also have my windows open, i use oil burners and i use Febreeze. If my dogs get wet or muddy then i bath and dry them.

Ozzy xxx
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2004, 10:06 AM
febreeze works best for me!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >