View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Inbreeding has been mentioned as a factor in an increase in cancers - I never said it caused them or is responsible for all of them

In that survay yes the vets did keep records of all the dogs - because that was the point of the study

as I said all studies are flawed, all you can do is look at the limitations of the study and see how you can improve the next one

But
certain things can be said
From insurance companies - crossbreeds that are insured have less expensive illnesses than pedigrees that are insured
In all studies in all contries crossbreeds longevity is in the top section, above many small breeds

Now yes
Not all dogs are insured
Not all dogs see the vets
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Tumours are the result of inbreeding

That must be why our friend has a brain tumour and the funeral we went to today , must be that these people are inbred .

There is evidence that pedigrees are healthier, health screening and the recorded results proves that.

There is no evidence cross breeds are healthier as there is no record of any health data to work with, or claim that are healthier than pedigrees.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2012, 04:21 PM
healthier than what?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2012, 04:32 PM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10222641
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2080450/
http://www.pawpeds.com/MCO/mchs/articles/lorimer.html

There is plenty of research on inbreeding and increased cancers, inbreeding messes up the immune system - some cancers can increase with a supressed immune system
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2012, 04:37 PM
As someone who studies this stuff for a living i can assure you that inbreeding does absolutely massively increase cancer risk.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Some really interesting points there and some more reading.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2012, 10:02 PM
My immune system is compromised not because I am inbred, but because of the vaccinations I received within a week way back in 1968 when I volunteered to go to Biafra, my immune system went into meltdown within days of the last vaccination & I was too ill to actually go, strangely enough I was not alone & one of my friends developed Leukemia within 3 months of the vaccinations & was dead within a year

Just like the "Gulf War Syndrome"which was caused by the vaccinations given to the service men & women-cancers have developed at a higher rate in vaccinated personnel than in non vaccinated personnel.

I wonder why none of the vaccine companies have investigated the rates of death from cancer in vaccinated dogs v non vaccinated dogs ? but if vets believe that inbreeding is the cause they won't do studies into vaccine links to cancers & immune system compromises will they ?
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2012, 10:10 PM
It also depends which pedigrees you are comparing? Breeds like the bernese have quite a few known issues, so even a well bred tested dog will not live as long as a buhund, which is a small/med breed only known for cataracts and HD..
Kestral has the potential, based on data of buhunds, to be healthier than some crosses, but this won't be the same for all dogs...

When you cross, surely you are just losing the potential for some genetically predisposed illnesses, unless breeding with a similar dog?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2012, 10:21 PM
There are studies talking about longevity and vaccinations, and if you read the links also longevity and whether the dogs are insured
Yes there ate more than one factor that can increase the risk of cancer, but inbreeding is a big one of them
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2012, 10:28 PM
I think it is a pointless argument

You are not comparing apples with apples

Basically there are far too many variables to make any conclusions worthwhile.
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »