Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2012, 07:15 PM

Vets Health care plan

Our vets (we think to ward off loss of business from a new vets opened very near), have introduced a health care plan for dogs and cats, whereby you pay a fixed monthly cost and it includes your worming, flea and booster vaccs etc and some other bits like anal gland expressing/nail clipping and a health check 6 monthly along with two consultations if needed over the year.

I have just joined for my two and we got a 5 % discount for two dogs and qualify for some other discounts on other vaccs, products etc if needed.

In our case it looks like a saving on the cost of flea/worm and boosters alone without even using the consultations.

So I am quite pleased. The other vets have advertised heavily as having a similar plan so think that is probably the motivation of our vet, but as it seems i save money i dont mind! lol
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-03-2012, 07:37 PM
We pay an absolute fortune for worming, flea and booster vaccs.
If we have a consultation then it can rapidly add up, sounds like you have got yourself a great deal!
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2012, 07:49 PM
The plan for medium dogs is just over £12 per month, and you get 5% discount for two dogs. We have been paying £240 a year for flea and worming for both of them.
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Paddy is 34.5kg and Pippa is 26.5kg, we currently pay £100 every 3 months for flea and worming.
So that is £400 a year.
Consultations are very expensive as well.
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-03-2012, 08:00 PM
A consultation after 7pm is £180....
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2012, 08:10 PM
This will only include 2 standard opening hour consultations, but even that costs over £30 a time, but even that will help given my active breeds, and the sometimes hesitation of do you need a vet or dont you type decisions!
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Yep, we are the same having dogs with skin so fine, i'm sure having two free consultations would make that should we / shouldn't we situations a lot easier!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Our vets have been offering this for the past year. I havn't taken it up as I don't intend giving mine boosters every year. I would only flea treat if it was necessary as I don't believe in putting chemicals on your dog if they are not needed and my wormer I get from the greyhound rescue for £5 per dog. So for me it wouldn't pay.
If you wish to do all these things every year though it is good.
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-03-2012, 11:32 AM
We have a shared garden, and next doors dogs are filthy things (not the dogs fault, the owner lives like a tramp) so we make sure ours are up to date with everything, just incase.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 08:43 PM
As we work as childminders we feel that it is important to minimise the risks to the children in our care (either real or perceived risks) and so we therefore will booster and treat in line with vets advice which is broadly in line with manufacturers recommendations. Our dogs have been fine with the treatments so for now we have no reason to question them and this is the most cost effective way for us to do it.