Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2004, 02:12 PM

Doggy Day Care

ok well im extremely lucky as in 4 years time, we are moving to somewhere like devon or somerset.
We hope to buy large farm like set up, and i want to either open boarding kennels, or doggy day care.

I know dog day care, is growing in the USA, but dont know nif it exists in the UK.

Im leaning towards Dog Day Care more, but im wanting to know the cons of it, obviously im going to need insurance, public liability etc, and somehow behaviour test the dogs, as they will be mixing freely in a safe enclosed area.

Anything else i need to be aware or, other than:
Insurance
behaviour of the dogs. ??

It sounds my cup of tea, having seperate rooms etc, for agility, swimming, chliing out, grooming.

id appreciate any help anyone can give
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-07-2004, 04:43 PM
Hi Gems Do you mean like a 'day nursery' for dogs? Yes that sounds a good idea but I think it could be quite costly to set up.You would need to consider who your clients will be and where they will come from. They will not want to travel large distances every day to reach you will they so you would need to be near a large town. This could very much influence where you move to. Hope it all happens for you one day Gems
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2004, 04:46 PM
yep just like a day nursery for dogs, with webcams, so people can watch their dogs whilst at work.
Money isnt an issue, its do-able from the money side, yes i agree being near a large town would be perfect, if not i could always arrange to pick up the pets from their homes??
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

08-07-2004, 04:49 PM
I agree with Mini that you should research the area first as there has to be enough demand for it to work. I'd have thought busy city types would be more up for it? (which you won't get in Devon)

Sounds like a fab idea tho and I expect you would get quite a bit of press coverage too!

Research research research! Just be sure thas all
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2004, 04:52 PM
yeah i agree, i mean somewhere near to bristol, but quiet, would be perfect! ive got plenty of time for research!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Ah Gems. This is what I'm looking for Unfortunately its in the wrong country
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2004, 07:38 PM
sorry jeanette! you might be a tad too far to collect luna!
Dog day care is growing in popularity, im sure it will reach you!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2004, 07:41 PM
Are you sure, you couldnt just pup by in the morning
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2004, 03:24 AM
Gems, that's a fantastic idea!! Picking up the dogs is even more of a plus for your prospective clients!! I just watched a show where there was a dog spa featured that was in a high rise with the pool, etc. It was a multi million dollar enterprise. It was really just a day care, but they added spa to make it appealing to wealthy people I think. There is huge potential in your idea!!

The one thing you left out was health testing. People want to be sure all the dogs will be safe because theirs will be exposed.

Good luck, I'm excited for you
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2004, 08:02 AM
thanks barbara, i did think of health testing, id have to look into that, and plus im sure something will change in terms of the requirements to vaccinate.

Im a very imaginative person, so im going to have great fun designing each room!
Ive always loved the idea of this, and i now will have the chance to do it, im excitied too!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >