Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 05:23 PM

Time management

Really for those members who have dogs, horses and children.

How on earth do you fit everything in?

I have a one year old son and four dogs. I don't currently work (other than helping hubby on the farm) as I am raising my son. I therefore theoretically should have lots of time. I don't!

I get up at 6am and go to bed around 10pm, and the hours just fly by.

Sometime in the next 12-18 months, I am hoping to add a horse into the throng, but am wondering how I am going to juggle my time to fit him/her in.

So, can others who have hectic lives which involve dogs, kids, horses, tell me the secret please

Oh and any piccies of dogs and horses together (with children too if you like ) would be most welcome.

Thanks!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I gave up my horses when pregnant, I did not go back to having them untill gordon was 6 years old, but I did work, I only had two dogs at that time also,

but for you things may be a wee bit better, because you will have your horse on your own door step,

when I think back to when gordon was only one, I cant remember how I fitted things in,

being a farmers is very demanding on its own without a small child, but Im sure if you do decide to get a horse, you will fit it into your routine, us women just seem to find a way x

ETA: I used to take the dogs {royce,mea,tegan,kaos} not all at once, down to the farm if I was pushed for time and they would trot along at the back of the horse so they both got exercised together, but it ment staying on the farm land.

but you would find it easy to ride on the hills once the dogs got used to the routine, so two birds with one stone sort of thing,.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks Shona. I think you are right, us women are skilled multi-taskers and always find a way to fit everything in ... somehow!

There are loads of tracks zig-zagging across the hills here, so I would definitely like to ride with the dogs accompanying me ... as long as they wouldn't bug the poor horse!

( keep meaning to email Arabella ... will do it soon! Thanks.)
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 05:59 PM
i have 2 kids, 3 dogs and 1 horse.

Yes life is hectic but to be honest that is all i do!!
I dont really have any other interests and not many friends and the ones i do have are horsey / doggy!!

Sometimes on the day when i have a longer dog walk I wont ride my horse...or if i go to a horse show the OH will do dogs.

It is surprising what you can do when you want ...sometimes before lunch i have..: Taken kids to school (inc making pack lunch, breakfast etc), ridden and mucked out my horse, walked the dogs, cleaned the house ( well a bit anyway, lol!!), been to shops and been on Dogsey!!!!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 06:05 PM
No kids or horses but numerous other commitments. Let's just say I drink a lot of caffeine and don't get much sleep!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Ha haa! Thanks Honeysmummy. My life revolves around the animals and my son anyway (I don't do anything else either!) - so I am sure I will find some time to muck out/ride and groom a horse too

Any pics of your gang together?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
No kids or horses but numerous other commitments. Let's just say I drink a lot of caffeine and don't get much sleep!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Hi,

I have one 4 year old Son and 3 dogs (soon to be 4). Also, I'm a single parent so I really have to struggle sometimes - I've found that if my Son comes too when I exercise the dogs then it's quaslity time spent with him also (and it wears him out so he goes to be early).

He rides horses too although we don't own any anymore. The time for the horse riding is set aside separately and when he's at school, I get time with the dogs inbetween trying to earn a living.

The housework either doesn't get done or I do it maybe in the evening or at the weekend if my son is with his father. Don't get me wrong - the place is spotlessly clean (almost obssesively so) but it gets very untidy and when Ellie blos her coat the carpet is a nightmare to keep clean.

I've found that at times I have to be really regimented with things like housework, study (just coming to the end of another uni course), spending time with my Son and the dogs both separately and together etc.

I've done it for so long now that when my Son is with his Dad and I DON'T stick to my own rules of should be done and when, I get irritable and angry with myself! silly, no?

Don't worry - you'll manage fine and when you ahve your horse you'll wonder what you wee worried about.

Laura xx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks Laura. It sounds as though you cope with plenty on your plate
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 02:25 PM
I take the dogs with me to the stables and walk them when I put the horse out. Kill two birds with one stone, walking the horse & dogs at the same time
If the boys are off school they come with me. When Im out on a hack they muck out for me.

I can only appreciate now your baby is so young its difficult to find time to yourself but once they go to school its a chance for 'you' time.

Its a juggle sometimes but it just fits into place somehow.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >