Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
doglover10398
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2018, 03:07 PM

Any body have an over weight dog thats on a diet

hi i have an over weight dog and i took her to the vet last friday she is a lab mix and she weighed 93 pounds she is supposed to weigh 70 pounds and im taking her back in in 30 to 45 days to weigh her and if she has not lost any weight shes gonna have to have blood work done. i was ust wondering if anybody had an over weight dog that is on a diet and was wondering what you are doing to keep your dogs weight down.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2018, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by doglover10398 View Post
hi i have an over weight dog and i took her to the vet last friday she is a lab mix and she weighed 93 pounds she is supposed to weigh 70 pounds and im taking her back in in 30 to 45 days to weigh her and if she has not lost any weight shes gonna have to have blood work done. i was ust wondering if anybody had an over weight dog that is on a diet and was wondering what you are doing to keep your dogs weight down.
Ours is somewhat. He weighs 36 kg now. Nearly 80 lbs. We got him down from almost 40 kg (88 lb). It's progress.

Lots of exercise and no treats. Except a carrot now and again and little lean cooked chicken breast.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-07-2018, 06:25 PM
No all of mine are at their ideal weight. Is this the same dog you've been trying to get weight off for months? Has none of the advice helped?
doglover10398
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2018, 09:03 PM
yes this is the same dog but some things came up to where i could not get her to the vet right then and all of the info all gave me really did help but i was just wondering how many other people had an over weight dog that was on a diet
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-07-2018, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
No all of mine are at their ideal weight. Is this the same dog you've been trying to get weight off for months? Has none of the advice helped?
To whom is that addressed?
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2018, 12:02 PM
Pip JRtx has to watch his weight , I use food from his dinner for rewards as well as a piece of carrot and he is fine now.
He gets several walks a day ,

i think you can get low calorie kibble , james wellbeloved do one.
Cut back on the treats and make sure he doesnt scavange on his walks . At the monet the park is filled with rubbish from picnickers who don't know what a rubbish bin is
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-07-2018, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post
Cut back on the treats and make sure he doesnt scavange on his walks . At the monet the park is filled with rubbish from picnickers who don't know what a rubbish bin is
That's a pet peeve of mine too. And those who throw bread out for the birds. Well-meaning perhaps, trying to be kind to the birds. But put it somewhere out of reach of where dogs are routinely walked.