Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Frenchielover
New Member!
Female 

09-10-2017, 07:02 PM

What type of dog should I get?

I really want to get a dog as soon as I move out from my parents with my boyfriend. He used to hate dogs but I slowly trained him to love them hahah. The first time I saw a picture of a french bulldog I knew I would have to get one in the future. They are so cute and have such fun personalities. But there are two problems. I know that even if they come from reputable breeders they tend to have health issues and they are not recommended to be a first dog.
I have always dreamt about getting a frenchie but I don't know if they are suitable for someone who has never had a dog before. I am working from home and have very few classes at university so I would be able to be with it almost all day. My boyfriend and I have been thinking about getting a dachshund instead of a frenchie because they are less prone to health problems and are also cheaper. Also they are small too and adorable. I have no clue what their personality is like though... Could you please help me which dog would be the best match for us? Thanks so much
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-10-2017, 08:12 PM
for anyone to choose a dog that suits you can't be done. What can be done is advise on care for a dog ,such as having a puppy checked out by a vet

Next is understand the breed your interested in, ask as many owners as you can for their opinion, it is invaluble knowledge .
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-10-2017, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
for anyone to choose a dog that suits you can't be done. What can be done is advise on care for a dog ,such as having a puppy checked out by a vet

Next is understand the breed your interested in, ask as many owners as you can for their opinion, it is invaluble knowledge .
Agree entirely with above, and please do not rush into it, there seems to be a mentality of "I want it and I want it now" in the Western world but where you are I would expect a more intelligent attitude.

There's loads of information out there, lots of books, talk to owners if you can, even (with caution) look on the internet.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-10-2017, 03:47 PM
One point I would add to the above. Owning a dog is a BIG commitment. Be absolutely certain that you can and will make that commitment.
Markie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2017, 04:47 PM
Read everything about them that you. Also find a good breeder. They are a lot of work. They need constant companion ship and will need you to be there for them no matter how you are feeling. Just make sure if you want a dog you can handle them.