Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-03-2017, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Yeah and if it worked for most people and most dogs maybe there wouldn't be so many dogs given up for rehoming before their 2nd birthday.
Probably so. And I'm not interested in getting in a spat with you.

No dog I've had had any formal training.
I think, at leat in the case of the dogs I had including the current beast, they observe and learn.

For example, when I'm puting on my walking boots Max knows the score and lies quietly on the hall floor. We go out. He sometimes gives a glance to make sure it is left or right. We'll walk for an hour or so. No verbal commands required.

I'm sure formal training could get him to do more things but I neither need nor want him to be other than what he now does.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-03-2017, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
What prompted me to post the topic is the number of walkers I see struggling to control their big dog on a lead. I've stopped asking why they don't let them off.
"Won't come back" is the usual response.

But if they haven't tried, they don't know. At what point do you accept/trust that your dog is loyal to you?
Absolutely correct. In my view these are people who don't want to put any effort into making their dogs life a good one. They have a dog because it's some kind of status, they don't want to even try to understand the creature. That's not good 'tho it is typical of so many two legged humans
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-03-2017, 10:03 PM
I'm not getting in a spat with anyone, but you frequently mention that dogs will improve given time, that you've not trained your dog or whatever, people reading that may be led to believe that dogs don't need training and that's simply not the case. I don't know what you mean exactly by formal training and it's not all about you and your dog. As responsible owners we shouldn't leave our dogs upbringing to chance. We should train them from an early age to behave in an acceptable manner, most dogs don't do that of their own accord. I know because I've rehabilitated and retrained many dogs who's owners thought training wasn't necessary.
We get people on here all the time complaining about their dog toileting inside, growling and biting yet claim their dog is fully trained because it can high five or sit pretty ( whatever that is) yet it won't do as it's told. When I post a comment on here it's not directed at you, the forum is quite widely read even if those readers don't post. My replies that seem to irk you so much are not for your benefit but some people believe what they see and what they frequently see from your posts is dogs learn by osmosis or whatever and those people need to know sometimes training a dog can be hard work but if they apply themselves they will get results.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2017, 11:13 PM
Don't ever think of getting a Beagle, Besoeker. They definitely do not learn by osmosis! The different breed types have very different characteristics, and what applies to a BC does not apply to all breeds.
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-03-2017, 11:56 PM
Less intelligent dogs on lead, smart dogs off lead.................
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2017, 12:51 AM
Hmm! Is that aimed at my breed? One of my Beags has UK Working Trials CDEx. Obedience BegEx, a current Hound Scenting Certificate, a couple of elementary HTM qualifications, and some self taught assistance dog skills - mainly variations on fetching and carrying, emptying the washing machine etc. He started life as a puppy farm bred rescue. Never a 'Yes' dog, but I would dearly like another less intelligent dog like him.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-03-2017, 03:26 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I'm not getting in a spat with anyone, but you frequently mention that dogs will improve given time, that you've not trained your dog or whatever, .
Please try to read what I post before commenting on it.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-03-2017, 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
Don't ever think of getting a Beagle, Besoeker. They definitely do not learn by osmosis! The different breed types have very different characteristics, and what applies to a BC does not apply to all breeds.
And there are differences within a breed.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-03-2017, 03:54 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Absolutely correct. In my view these are people who don't want to put any effort into making their dogs life a good one. They have a dog because it's some kind of status, they don't want to even try to understand the creature. That's not good 'tho it is typical of so many two legged humans
Agreed. I've made the point before that owners and would be owners don't always appreciate the committment, the requirement, that goes with dog ownership.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-03-2017, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
I agree. Then we rarely walk in town or on busy roads.

We don't have a loose lead/leash.
If Max is on the lead I do so because I want to have firm/close control of him. He has no problem with that.
"Max, lead" and he waits for it and matches his pace to mine.

I'm confused and somewhat intrigued to know exactly what you mean when you say "we don't have a loose lead/leash".

Perhaps you could enlighten me as I'm always willing to learn something new?
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >