Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zhuchka
New Member!
Female 

26-01-2017, 06:47 AM

Need expert opinion on a possible situation

Hello.

I need to hear experienced dog people's opinion on this.
I am doing a scholarly analysis of a literary work, whose author used to use real life experiences in his works.

In one particular work he describes a situation, in which a disturbed sick individual gave to a very, very, very, hungry dog a piece of bread with a pin in it. The narrator says that when the dog ate this piece of bread, it squealed and ran away wailing and squealing.
This was a perpetually hungry semi-stray dog whom no one fed.

My questions are:
according to your experience, how likely it is
1) for the dog to swallow that piece of bread without realizing there was a pin;
2) what are the chances that it spit it out before swallowing and simply squealed because it pricked;

I need to analyze the verisimilitude of this literary description.
There are two camps: one says that the dog did swallow and died after; the other - it didn't swallow but spat out and survived.

In my opinion, a perpetually starving dog wouldn't be discriminating enough to "chew" that piece of bread, and would swallow it. And once the pin got stuck in its GIT, it would feel excruciating pain and would run away.
But I have little experience with dogs swallowing anything.

So, please share your thoughts and experience.
Thank you!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-01-2017, 07:11 AM
It's not that simple, yes the dog would have gulped it down without chewing but it doesn't follow it would have stuck in the gut and even if it did it wouldn't have been instantaneous. Bizarre question.
zhuchka
New Member!
Female 

26-01-2017, 07:40 AM
Thank you for a quick reply, Trouble.

When you say that it wouldn't be "instantaneous", do you mean the needle wouldn't get stuck right away? How long will it take before the dog feels it?
Would you consider that kind of description of a dog swallowing a piece of bread with a pin in it probable?
Yes, it may sound like a strange question, but in my research the fate of this poor dog is involved in other questions dealing with human violence and animal cruelty. So, I need to determine as much as possible how 'true to life' this kind of situation is.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

26-01-2017, 08:38 AM
Dogs swallow all sorts of things some cause massive problems for the dog and others they live with and are only discovered much later when xrayed for something else.
He'd only yelp instantly if the pin had stuck in his mouth or throat surely.
How long? Maybe never.
Is it probable he'd swallow it? yes. Why anyone would do such a thing? mental issues.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2017, 10:47 AM
It would depend the shape and size of the pin, and where it embedded. Best scenario would be, the pin pricks the dog's mouth, he yelps, and rejects the bread. However, the fleshy tongue and the soft palette are sites where items like sewing needles and fishing hooks can lodge when the dog has managed to swallow them. Sometimes the animal will show distress straight away, allowing the item can be removed while it is still visible, otherwise it will show up on x-ray when the animal presents as being unwilling to eat, and will need to be removed surgically.
I feel a little uncomfortable discussing this. I do hope your interest IS purely academic.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

26-01-2017, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
It would depend the shape and size of the pin, and where it embedded. Best scenario would be, the pin pricks the dog's mouth, he yelps, and rejects the bread. However, the fleshy tongue and the soft palette are sites where items like sewing needles and fishing hooks can lodge when the dog has managed to swallow them. Sometimes the animal will show distress straight away, allowing the item can be removed while it is still visible, otherwise it will show up on x-ray when the animal presents as being unwilling to eat, and will need to be removed surgically.
I feel a little uncomfortable discussing this. I do hope your interest IS purely academic.
I do too
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2017, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
It's not that simple, yes the dog would have gulped it down without chewing but it doesn't follow it would have stuck in the gut and even if it did it wouldn't have been instantaneous. Bizarre question.
Bizarre indeed.
It might depend on the dog. A lot of dogs gulp things down - ours doesn't. He chews everything.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

26-01-2017, 09:44 PM
It's been proven that feeding kibble doesn't keep teeth clean as dogs don't chew, their teeth are actually the wrong shape for chewing. They crunch, gnaw and tear and grind but do not chew as such.
I've had dogs that eat fast and dogs that savour every morsel but they still basically swallow food in chunks, that's why if they throw up it's all still recognisable
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2017, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
It's been proven that feeding kibble doesn't keep teeth clean as dogs don't chew, their teeth are actually the wrong shape for chewing. They crunch, gnaw and tear and grind but do not chew as such.
I've had dogs that eat fast and dogs that savour every morsel but they still basically swallow food in chunks, that's why if they throw up it's all still recognisable
OK, crunch rather than chew if you prefer it that way. So ours crunches everything before swallowing it.

I'll take your word about the vomit.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

26-01-2017, 10:24 PM
I'm not being pedantic, we chew or we'd choke but dogs can swallow a whole chicken wing or leg without actually chewing, they may give it a few crunches to break the bones then down it goes. Pretty amazing really. I'll agree some dogs savour their food much more than others, it's fascinating seeing the differences in a multi-dog household.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >