View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-05-2016, 06:26 PM
This is the simplest - and probably the most sensible - explanation, about the EU and the Euro ever to see the light of day.
Baldrick: 'What I want to know, sir, is before there was a Euro there were lots of different types of money that different people used. Now what I want to know is, how did we get from one state of affairs to the other state of affairs?'
Blackadder: 'Baldrick did you mean how did the Euro start?'
Baldrick: 'Yes sir.'
Blackadder: 'Well you see Baldrick, back in the 1980s there were many different countries all running there own finances and using different types of money. On one side you had the major economies of France, Belgium, Holland and Germany and on the other, the weaker natons of Spain, Greece, Ireland, Italy and Portugal. They got together and decided it would be much easier for everyone if they could all use the same money, have one central bank and belong to one small club where everyone could be happy. That meant there could never be a situation whereby financial meltdown would lead to social unrest, wars and crises.'
Baldrick: 'But this is a sort of crisis, isn't it sir?'
Blackadder: 'That's right Baldrick. You see, there was only one sight flaw with the plan'.
Baldrick: What was that then sir?
Blackadder: 'It was bollocks'.

Apologies for the sweary bit at the end - it just seems so very right!
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2016, 07:14 PM
Lol...just about sums it up
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-05-2016, 07:19 PM
I knew the single currency would never work, nor would open borders, so how come they didn't
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Brilliant synopsis, LG!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I knew the single currency would never work, nor would open borders, so how come they didn't
a) The single currency doesn't work because huge assumptions and misguided faith was behind it. e.g. The firm who investigated Greece prior to them joining missed out loads of things which were important.

b) Open borders don't work because, as we've seen recently, it is so easy to abuse the system and not just those from outside the EU but also all the criminals who are laughing because they can go stealing in one country and be over the border in minutes and virtually untouchable.

So what should have happened:-
1) First establish a common standard of financial control.
2) Then establish a common legal system
3) Then a common language
4) Then a Europe wide Police force

All that will take about 100 years to do properly, anything less will be mish mash and a compromise, which is what we've got
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
That meant there could never be a situation whereby financial meltdown would lead to social unrest, wars and crises.'
Yes LG it's a good summary.

1) Greece is in financial meltdown
2) There has been social unrest in Greeece
3) It is a crises in Greece and it will be for decades

Getting three out of four wrong is a pretty abismal record
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2016, 08:12 AM
Wasn't there a certain criteria which had to be met to join the single currency which even Germany and France could not attain so what hope had the poorer countries - zilch - but hey lets go ahead anyway. Recipe for disaster.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2016, 07:45 AM
Maybe there should be a poll on here to see who wants in or out. I am still very undecided.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-05-2016, 03:04 PM
Perhaps Brenda if you knew that the EU was going to place a 45% tax on dog clubs and ban the keeping of Border Collies by anyone with less than 45 head of sheep. Then you might be inclined to vote for out.
If you think this is a stupid post, you are definitly right but in my defence I would say it is no dafter than some of the tall tales being told by both sides in this debate.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2016, 10:18 PM
We got our leaflet today....my dad was livid with it lol I will have a read tomorrow but I am pretty certain I am out
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >