View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Donnadoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2011, 11:15 AM

Getting dog in car after surgery on leg....

Might seem a silly question but.....

After by a few delays Tob finially got his luxuriating patella operation on Friday, and he's finially allowed home this evening (although now I'm going to be stuck in rush hour traffic!)

Problem is Toby is a heavy dog, 24kg, and I'm pretty small and not very strong. I have a c3 and he needs to go in the boot as he's sick alot in the car and even with sheets over the seat it still gets in them. An they are White and velour, never a good mix lol!

To ge him in the boot. Usuall pick him by the tummy and lift him, but his legs go everywhere and I don't want to hurt him! And then when it's time to get out of the car he usually jumps as soon as the boot opens, before I can stop him.

I don't want to hurt him and was just wondering if anyone had any solutions to ge him in/ou the car easily and safely?

TIA
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 11:19 AM
You need another pair of hands really. The vet nurses (or whoever -- vets, receptionist, etc.) should help you lift him into the car safely if you can't manage him when you go to collect him.

Ideally if you can get someone to help you steady him when you return home that would be best.
Donnadoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2011, 11:23 AM
OH will be here when I get back but he's staying with the boys, as the vet school is no place for two hyper boys!
Think I'll be able to ask for some help?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Donnadoo View Post
OH will be here when I get back but he's staying with the boys, as the vet school is no place for two hyper boys!
Think I'll be able to ask for some help?
They will most likely offer well before you ask!
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 11:27 AM
You could get OH to go with you, but get him to wait outside with the boys..take books or colouring in stuff to keep them occupied until you come out. Put OH in the backseat of the car on the way back to keep ur furbaby steady
Donnadoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Could see about that but one of them has tae kwon do after school, so might be easier to go it alone and do as Ladradork says and ask for help.
Can't wait to get him home, he was meant to be home yesterday but he wouldn't eat, an when he did he started being sick so had to get some medicine prescribed to stop that.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 11:42 AM
A future tip for car sickness - ginger biscuits.

I'd ask for help if it isn't offered to you. I know what you mean, I'm only 5'4 and I have trouble with my Lab x - he's 27kg, luckily though - he's pretty good at being picked up..
If it was a long term thing I would think about getting a fold up ramp for him.

Hope his leg heals quickly.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 12:00 PM
The vets ordered me a black cab and helped me get Rupert in to it after he was neutered. I'm sure someone would help you get your dog into the car but you really need to stop him jumping out at the other end so you're going to at least need your OH to meet you outside.

Once he's healed up I'd also work on him not jumping out as soon as the boot is opened for safety reasons but obviously that's no help right now.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Would he tolerate being wrapped in a blanket? That way you could kind of swaddle him and pick him up without his legs flying out.
It's a bit late now but I would train him in the future to not jump out as soon as the boot opens - it can be recipe for disaster if he does it near a road anyway. Is there something you could tether him to in the boot? Can you access the boot from your rear seats, you could always climb into the back when you get home to attach a lead and clip it onto a tether point or perhaps shut it in the rear door to hold him in place, then unclip him once you've open the boot and got hold of him.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 12:19 PM
I'd possibly be risking the seats for this one myself - I've found if I dangle a sheet down the back into the boot, then cut holes for the seatbelt attachments and seatbelt them up, it's pretty secure in terms of dogs not being able to get even a single dog hair onto the upholstery!

Other than that - something like the ruffwear harness with the handle if you can get hold of one - I know lots of people use them with dogs like greyhounds post amputation as having a gangly thing with legs everywhere is much more easy when it comes with a carry handle!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >