View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bedlamitis
New Member!
Female 

16-08-2010, 09:32 AM

Rescue dog - where to start with training?

I rehomed a Parson Russell terrier from the Dogs Trust two weeks ago. I am sure he is by no means the worst - in fact in lots of ways he is really well behaved but he needs to learn so much and I don't know where to start.

The biggest problems are chewing and jumping/biting in excitement. The chewing we are tackling by keeping him in one area and putting him in a crate when we are out - fortunately he seemed to really like the crate right from when we first got it. The other problem is sometimes he goes totally loopy (particularly when out walking) and starts running at the person walking him, jumping up at them and snapping at their clothes. When it is me I do feel quite frightened at times that he will bite me by mistake.

Any suggestions about how to tackle this? Then I can work on to not pulling on the lead, not going loopy when he sees another dog or a person, not jumping on the settees etc. etc.

I love the dog but had no idea just how much hard work it would be.

Kirsten
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Hi Bedlamitis ~ firstly well done for taking on a rescue dog.

As you got him from the Dogs Trust, have you gone back to ask them for some training & behaviour advice? Usually their training & behaviour advisers are pretty good at helping people with these sort of problems & the help is free!

Also, you've only had him 2 weeks so he is still well within the "settling in" period so don't expect too much, too soon. How old is he? Do you have any history on him?

As for the excited jumping up & nipping behaviour, you need to work on reinforcing calm relaxed behaviours, like "sit", "down" ~ static behaviours that don't involve a lot of muscle movement. Often these sort of excitable behaviours arise out of frustrations, conflict behaviours, adrenaline-rush type things where the dogs loses control a bit~ a bit like a child in the throes of something exciting & they get a bit hyped up. So the more you can get him to concentrate on your signals & practice quiet, calm postures, the better.

I would suggest that you try to find some good training classes near you that use positive reinforcement, e.g. clicker training classes. Maybe see if the Dogs Trust can recommend some good classes?
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Congrats on you fiesty new adition.

I would use clicker training for him. Terriers seem to react really well to it and it's something you can do at home. Firstly find treats your dog really likes (I'm using tiny pieces of liver) click and give him a piece so this 20-30 times. Then everytime he's doing the behaviour you want click and treat. So if he's jumping turn ignore and once he's sat click and treat, he'll get the idea. Then you can move this outside when your walking, ie if the tention goes in the lead click and treat. If you have a look on youtube there are loads of clicker vids. Hope they help you as much as they did me.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 10:38 AM
There's an excellent article on the training & behaviour page here on clicker training