Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 01:55 PM

Showing Restrictions....

Has anyone come across this when sold a dog? My Mother signed a contract stating that he was only to be a pet, not to be bred from and not to be shown (stupid really as they knew and agreed that I could take him to a few shows!).

I can understand the "not to be bred from" bit, but the only reason they'll give for not wanting him to be shown is that he was quite a quiet pup in the litter and they didn't feel he would make a good show dog. This has now totally changed and he's a very bold boy running upto everyone and anyone to be fussed when out and about. He's a bit of a brute tbh!

I've since emailed them and asked permission to show him, they asked for standing pics which I sent. All this and yet they're still insisting that they don't feel his character is suitable for the ring. I can't help feel this is a little odd as I've told them how much he's changed and that I would only do a few for a bit of fun?? They're saying that they would've sold my parents a different dog if they wanted one suitable for the show ring - but that's not what they want anyway. They wanted a pet dog and if he liked showing they'd let me take him to a few. I just can't work it out really?!

No real point to this thread, just a bit puzzled and needed to rant really!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Absolutely rubbish! They should be delighted the dog is becoming more confident and very pleased that somebody that knows a bit about the breed considers him worthy of showing! They didnt keep the litter brother to show did they?

Im not sure they can say "no show" either, as I havent seen anything on a pedigree or KC reg that states not eligable for showing, surely this is a personal thing between your parents and the breeder only, and really they dont have a say?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Absolutely rubbish! They should be delighted the dog is becoming more confident and very pleased that somebody that knows a bit about the breed considers him worthy of showing! They didnt keep the litter brother to show did they?

Im not sure they can say "no show" either, as I havent seen anything on a pedigree or KC reg that states not eligable for showing, surely this is a personal thing between your parents and the breeder only, and really they dont have a say?
Oh thank god someone who agress with me! I think it's totally ridiculous.

I would totally understand it if there was something wrong with him health wise that would affect his showing, but the reasons they're giving just don't add up to me tbh. How can they comment on his character now when the last time they saw him was at 8 weeks old? Apparently they told my parents he was very quiet and always kept out of the way under tables etc, that's not the case now! He's totally come out of his shell, loves everyone and beats the living daylights out of Oscar!

My parents were saying they were tempted to let me show him anyway as realistically what can they do? But surely a contract is a contract?

I really don't like they way they're distinguishing between a show dog and a pet dog. To me all dogs should be pets and if they like showing great, if not then you don't do it.

ETA: Yes they did keep 2 pups back to run on, speaks volumes I think!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Here's a little pic of him standing, not the best as it's the first time I've done it with him. Also excuse the expression, I was concentrating!

I think he's a lovely little pup, nicely balanced and moves well too. It's only a bit of fun for him anyway, can't bare all this serious showing business!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 02:16 PM
There used to be a "Not eligible for competition"endorsement that could be put on puppies(like export & registering of offspring endorsements), but it was done away with years ago & TBH the puppy contract is not enforceable in law.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
There used to be a "Not eligible for competition"endorsement that could be put on puppies(like export & registering of offspring endorsements), but it was done away with years ago & TBH the puppy contract is not enforceable in law.
You can't just leave me hanging like that! Give me info!

I just assumed once you sign a contract that's it tbh, with anything. Could they not attempt to get the dog back through breach of contract etc
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Dyane is right, they legally cannot stop you from showing him. I think you will find he was probably pick of the litter, but felt he was too quiet and not showy enough, well IMO they should be chuffed to bits, not preventing him going in the ring.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
You can't just leave me hanging like that! Give me info!

I just assumed once you sign a contract that's it tbh, with anything. Could they not attempt to get the dog back through breach of contract etc
What does the contract say?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Dyane is right, they legally cannot stop you from showing him. I think you will find he was probably pick of the litter, but felt he was too quiet and not showy enough, well IMO they should be chuffed to bits, not preventing him going in the ring.
I do get the feeling they feel like they've picked the wrong dog, the reason about his character just doesn't fit right to me.

What does the contract say?
Ooh I'm not sure exactly, will ask to see it when I drop my dogs off at my parents tonight. It's just a piece of paper stating the pup is to be sold as a pet, not to be bred from and not to be shown I think. Signed by my Mother. Don't think there's a reason given on the contract?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Puppy contracts have been proved not to be enforceable, otherwise everyone signing one, which includes a return to breeder clause, would have to return the dog to the breeder, but this just doesn't happen & if they had not wanted the dog to be eligible to be shown, they should not have registered him QED. Their big mistake.

If they really thought he was only "pet quality"then they would have done this & not handed over or sold him as KC registered.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »