View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
barbella
New Member!
Female 

05-05-2010, 05:57 PM

Fussy eater ...help and advice needed...

I have Tia nearly 14wk old standard yorkie, came to me on butchers wet, transferred her to wainwrights dry which she like for a few days then refused to eat it then it gets out of control added wainwrights wet to the dry, went off it tried James wellbeloved wet, went off it, then tried Natures best wet, same thing, onto Iams dry, same again...sought advice from vets and they said to stick with a brand, lift it after 20min and not to replace with anything else, try again next feed and so on...until she's eating it...but I'm worried because she's just picking at it and barely eating...I know I can't give her anything else as it will ruin the plan...but it's driving me mad!!! Help or reassurance is very welcome!
barbella
New Member!
Female 

05-05-2010, 06:02 PM
the food has been down 15min and she just nibbled a few...only a few then walked off
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-05-2010, 07:06 PM
I am used to Labs that will wolf down more than they need and look for more. Itis quite common for other breeds, most often smaller ones to refuse to eat more than they need. Many people overfeed their dogs either following package recommendations or thinking a dog should look like the overweight ones they see. Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs.

So listen to your vet. Some say 10 minutes, some 15, and I have no trouble with your vet's 20 minutes. Keep reducing what you feed and taking it up until the dog does eat it all. As long as it doesn't get to where its ribs show, it is fine, healthier than many dogs, and likely to live longer. If it does get to where you can see the ribs, get back with the vet.

This may sound cruel, but what really is cruel is bribing a dog with rich food to eat more than it needs.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 07:47 PM
I think that your vet was entirely right......your little Yorkie is wrapping you around her mighty paw!!

Stick to one food only; put a small amount down then remove it after 10/15 mins or so if not eaten. Next mealtime do the same thing. Don't feel upset and worry, and above all don't supplement with lots of treats.

Sooner or later your little dog will settle down to normal eating once realisation dawns that a new dish will not be set down for her delectation and approval.!!
barbella
New Member!
Female 

05-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I think that your vet was entirely right......your little Yorkie is wrapping you around her mighty paw!!

Stick to one food only; put a small amount down then remove it after 10/15 mins or so if not eaten. Next mealtime do the same thing. Don't feel upset and worry, and above all don't supplement with lots of treats.

Sooner or later your little dog will settle down to normal eating once realisation dawns that a new dish will not be set down for her delectation and approval.!!
Yes that is what was said! her 3rd dish she started nibbling a few then walked off, will have it from my hand BUT I didn't even go down that road!! I have been careful with treats too ok I'll persevere
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 10:22 PM
My Yorkie was a fussy little madam at that age. Like yours, she always appeared to eat so little; sometimes only a mouthful or two. Obviously I found it worrying, but she still maintained her weight and was as bouncy as ever. I simply had to tell myself that a healthy dog would never starve itself. Eventually though she seemed to grow out of this and is now a greedy beggar.

I agree with your vet in picking up the food after an allotted time period.

Mine eats Skinners dry (duck or salmon) with a bit of Naturediet which I blast in the microwave for 30 seconds to warm through. She seems to love it warm and always finishes the bowl.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 12:26 AM
If you are feeding dry kibble soak it first & then mash it up with a fork. Mix a little wet food through it or minced chicken. Many dogs & pups get bored chewing hard crunchy food.
sylviad
New Member!
Female 

14-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Hi,

It sounds like you have been switching foods too much trying to find one she'll accept. Keep in mind she's still just a puppy and trying to adapt to moving on from mother's milk to real food. You don't mention how long you had her and her age when this problem started.

When she first came to you, she would have to adapt to many changes in her life, which means you have to be patient. If she started this a few days after you got her, she hadn't really had a chance to adapt to whatever food you gave her - and her new home.

It's true that you should stick with one dog food. Make sure it's a puppy formula because she needs those body-building nutrients.

Here's a method that has worked for me in the past with new puppies/dogs.

Stay beside her while she eats. This will give her a sense of security. She won't be wondering where you are, if you are going to leave her alone. Remember, dogs are social animals and they will constantly be thinking where everyone else went.

My current dog, Tyler went off his food lately (but he's older, about 4 years). I found that adding warm water to the kibble brought out the odors and made it more appetizing for him.

Try these tactics. And do as your vet says. Leave the food only 15 minutes or so and take it up. Don't leave down for her all the time. Some dogs you can, some you can't. I always leave food for my dogs without problems. Some dogs will overeat, and some won't eat if you leave food out. If your dog knows the food is going to disappear, she's more likely to want to eat when you give it to her.

Don't keep jumping from one brand to another. She needs time to get used to one quality food.

Hope this helps.

Sylvia
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Hi,

I know where you're coming from as I'm pretty much in the same situation... Even though I have stuck to only one brand of food for the past months... My Tess, despite being very active and getting loads of exercise, eats maybe half of the recommended amount... But.... She is in no way too thin, and I get regular comments from both vets and trainers about how healthy she is and looks.... However, I really have to set the scene in order to get her to eat anything... Basically she's more stubborn then I am... I tried the "pick up the bowl after 20 mins" thing for more then a week... The result: she ate nothing and I was beside myself with worry... Not good for either of us, took her to the vet, nothing wrong, she's the picture of health!

So what do I do now? She's on 2 meals a day with a total of a little more then half the recommended daily portion, I sit next to her when she has to eat and she's not allowed out of the kitchen until her bowl is empty..... Not great but at least she's eating.... Unfortunately not all dogs are food-driven.... If you own one, it's tough working out the ideal circumstances to get them to eat.... My vet told me: the portions on the packaging are extreme averages; some dogs need more, some dogs need quite a bit less... Look at your own dog... If it's not too thin, happy, active etc etc: it's getting enough! If the dog is getting too thin and still not eating: ge to the vet!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-05-2010, 03:02 AM
As I have said many, many times, go by the ribs, not the package.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >