register for free

Dog News

Teenagers convicted of dog abuse targeted online

People getting fined for 'making threats' against dog-abusers

Kent Police has warned people posting abuse online to teenagers who tortured a dog that they could face prosecution.

Four boys, aged 15 and 16, who were banned from keeping animals for five years for abusing a chihuahua called Chunky, have been targeted by the abusers.

The boys cannot be named legally because of their ages.
Social media expert David Taylor said people who were were horrified about what the boys did had taken it upon themselves to act as a secondary judge and jury.

Police have already issued a 25-year-old man from Ramsgate with an Ł90 fixed penalty notice for malicious communications.
Video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-34952962

Your comments and views:
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2016, 06:27 AM
The problem here is the justice system.

Lord Chief Justice Hewart was right when in 1924 he said: “It is not merely of some importance, but of fundamental importance that justice should not only be done, but should be manifestly and undoubtedly seen to be done”.

The problem is justice isnt being seen to be done , a fine and a slap on the wrist doesnt cut it. Lets see... for kicking a staff to death in the street last year a homeless man in kent got a Ł1,000 fine ( which he wont pay) and a suspended sentence. It wasnt his first conviction for violence either. How is this justice?

The abuse Chunky suffered was sickening and heartbreaking for many. I know my stomach turned as I saw the report. Every fibre of my soul cried out for revenge and punishment for those who were so callous.

Last week someone in my home town took a six week old puppy cut off its head sawed open its ribcage and took out its organs , then dumped it in shallow water near a school..

Social media has gone mad with people demanding justice but if caught the butchers will get a fine and be banned from keeping animals....

A fine just isnt enough to say justice has been done and until the courts and judicial system understand that then people will vent their anger and frustration via social media.
Its the lack of justice that fuels vigilante type feelings. Solve the first and the second would not be a problem...
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2016, 11:09 AM
I quite agree Dorrit. These children are not just naughty, they are criminally insane, and should have been sent to a juvenile equivalent of Broadmoor for as long as it takes. Left in the same environment which has allowed them fail to develop normal empathetic feelings, there is a more than reasonable chance that they will continue into a life of violence.
It appears that there are not sufficient resources to rehabilitate offenders like these in residential care, which leaves us all feeling that they have managed to escape correction. It is little wonder that the public should want to express their disgust on social media. If this makes the boys feel hurt and shame, it will have done more than the law has done for poor Chunky and his owners.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-01-2016, 12:48 PM
CarolC / Dorrit - I completely agree, it angers me that these judges live in a different world to us, high court judges when on circuit drive around in chauffeur driven limos, stay in special houses, and never mix with the 'normal'population.

Have either of you ever met a judge No one I know has ever met one, I've never seen one down the pub, they live in cloud cuckoo land and spend all their time pontificating on whether there is a comma after a word and how that might, just possibly, make the law not applicable to a criminal in the court and of course they try by what ever means they can to get the accused a lighter sentance or even aquited. As you say our justice system is flawed but because most politicians came up through the legal system they won't rock the boat. I believe firmly that the justice system is responsible for the way society is today, callous, uncaring, devious, cruel, uneducated, etc. etc. BTW I avoided reading Chunky's story because I knew it would upset me and there's so little I can do to rectify the situation.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top